M&S leaves its mark on the UK's apparel industry
Much has been written in both the national and international press about the decision taken by Marks and Spencer, Britain's largest apparel retailer, to increasingly source its clothing from lower cost countries. This change in buying policy has resulted in a number of well-known suppliers being axed from the M&S supply base, as well as major job losses across the UK, and has left the industry reeling from the severity and suddenness of its move. But is the criticism that has been levelled at the company a fair reflection of the true story? just-style.com has asked Niki Tait to find out what all the fuss is about, and her conclusions show that the real issue that needs to be examined here is the true nature of overseas purchasing.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020