Cost-to-Serve - Measuring the Profitability of Trading Relationships : Part 2
Hyper-competition Competition is also increasing for both manufacturers andretailers. For manufacturers, this is seen in the advent of global competition. In thepast, when markets were localised, a company only had to be as competitive as those in thelocality. If a potential competitor with a better way of doing things existed elsewhere,it did not present a challenge. This has now changed. Obviously if a company is choosingto export into a foreign market it must be competitive compared to its domestic rivals. Itis equally true for a domestic concern; while it may not have international aspirations,its customers will receive the attentions of foreign companies who do. In thesecircumstances only world-class performance will suffice. However retailers are also facingincreased competition. There is a blurring of distribution channels (perhaps bestsymbolised by petrol stations turning into supermarkets and supermarkets selling petrol)leading to enhanced competition. Furthermore in developed countries they face a stablepopulation and the entry of alternative retailing methods (e.g. electronic home-basedmethods) which could subtract market
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar