Cost-to-Serve - Measuring the Profitability of Trading Relationships : Part 2
Hyper-competition Competition is also increasing for both manufacturers andretailers. For manufacturers, this is seen in the advent of global competition. In thepast, when markets were localised, a company only had to be as competitive as those in thelocality. If a potential competitor with a better way of doing things existed elsewhere,it did not present a challenge. This has now changed. Obviously if a company is choosingto export into a foreign market it must be competitive compared to its domestic rivals. Itis equally true for a domestic concern; while it may not have international aspirations,its customers will receive the attentions of foreign companies who do. In thesecircumstances only world-class performance will suffice. However retailers are also facingincreased competition. There is a blurring of distribution channels (perhaps bestsymbolised by petrol stations turning into supermarkets and supermarkets selling petrol)leading to enhanced competition. Furthermore in developed countries they face a stablepopulation and the entry of alternative retailing methods (e.g. electronic home-basedmethods) which could subtract market
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective