Activating the Supply Chain : Part 2
Different types of productrequire different supply chain approaches. There is the 'one-time' product wherethe customer knows this is a fashion item and if he wants it, he knows he need to buythere and then as he is unlikely to find it in the shop the next time he goes. There isthe seasonal re-order product where the consumer feels he will be able to go back and buymore, and then there is the perpetually replenished item which he would expect to findalways on the shelf. With each, one needs to continuously review the order frequency,forecasting approach, materials purchasing and stock holding, finished goods stock levels,batch/lot size, lead times, etc, to see where improvements can be made. For any reductionin lead times to be effective one needs to make staged commitments and share the risk,starting with capacity and raw materials. Internet technologies should be used to shareinformation rather than to exchange information as happens with EDI. Co-operation isneeded in the supply complex between partners with complementary skills and this leads tothe need for partnerships.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar