US: Retailers' May 2011 sales roundup
US retail looked to continue its recovery momentum in May
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' May 2011 sales results. The list will be updated as new results become available.
General merchandise retailer The TJX Companies said sales for the four-week period ended 28 May were US$1.7bn, up 7% over the same period last year. Same-store sales for the month increased 2%.
Department store chain JC Penney Company reported today that its same-store sales for the four-week period ended 28 May decreased 1%. Total sales for the four weeks fell 3.3% to $1.2bn.
Ross Stores said sales for the month increased 8% to $661m, up from $614m for the four weeks ended 29 May 2010. Same-store sales for the month grew 4% on top of a 5% gain in the prior year period.
Stein Mart posted same-store sales for the period up 0.7%. Total sales for the period were $98.5m, a decrease of 0.2% from $98.7m in the same period of 2010.
Global retailer Gap Inc said its net sales for the four-weeks were $1.06bn, compared with net sales of $1.05bn in the prior year period. The company’s same-store sales for May were down 4% compared with a 1% increase for May 2010.
Victoria's Secret operator Limited Brands reported a same-store sales increase of 6% for the four weeks ended 28 May, compared to the same period last year. The company reported net sales of $717.4m for the month, compared to net sales of $657.3m last year.
The Cato Corporation reported sales of $80.7m for the four weeks ended 28 May, flat to the same period last year. Same-store sales for the month decreased 3%.
Denim firm The Buckle said its same-store sales increased 8.8% for the four-week period ended 29 May 2010. Net sales for the month increased 12.7% to $68.1m, from net sales of $60.4m during the same period last year.
The Wet Seal, a retailer to young women, posted sales of $44.5m for the month of May, an increase of 10.6%. Same-store sales rose 2.9% during the period.
Women's wear chain The Bon-Ton Stores announced that same-store sales for the four weeks ended 28 May decreased 2.3%. Total sales decreased 2.9% to $181.0m, compared with $186.5m for the prior year period.
Maternity apparel retailer Destination Maternity Corporation reported that preliminary net sales for the month of May decreased 5.3% to $49.4m for the month of May 2010. Same-store sales decreased 8.4% during the period.
Action sports retailer Zumiez said net sales for the four-week period ended 28 May increased 14.9% to $30.3m, compared to $26.3m for the same period last year. The company's same-store sales increased 7.8% for the four-week period.
Mall-based youth apparel chain Hot Topic said that its same-store sales rose 0.4% for the month of May. The retailer's net sales fell 1.5% to $42.0m during the period.
Companies: TJX Companies Inc, JC Penney Company Inc, Ross Stores Inc, Stein Mart, Gap Inc, Victoria’s Secret, Limited Brands, Cato Corporation, Buckle Inc, Wet Seal Inc, Bon-Ton Stores Inc, Destination Maternity, Zumiez Inc, Hot Topic Inc
Growth in US same-store sales appeared to cool in October as weather and economic malaise weighed on retailers, putting extra pressure on businesses as they transition into the crucial holiday season....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' October 2011 sales results....
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe chains' September 2011 sales results. ...
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Will Brexit trigger rise in UK manufacturing?
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape