just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Ahmed Abdullah
Pakistan’s second Textile Policy aims to double the country’s textile and clothing exports to US$26bn in the next five years as it seeks to reap full benefits of the EU GSP+ scheme.
Following Pakistan's accession to the EU's GSP+ scheme, Chinese firms are eyeing the country as a competitive destination for foreign investment in the textile and garment sectors.
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports grew 8% to US$6.9bn in the first half of the current fiscal year, helped by improved availability of yarns and fabrics for domestic garment makers.
Textile producers in Pakistan are upbeat about the year ahead, with opportunities seen to include market access under the European Union's GSP+ trade scheme, the changing dynamics of the Chinese textile industry, labour unrest and higher wages in Bangladesh, and the local availability of cheaper fibres, especially cotton.
Thousands of garment export consignments remain stranded at Karachi Port and across Pakistan after an 11-day strike by transport workers, which ended on Monday.
A strategy that could contribute to targets to double Pakistan's textile and clothing exports over the next three years by making the industry socially accountable has been unveiled.
Chinese investors are to set up woven and knitted garment factories in Punjab, Pakistan's largest textile-producing province, following an agreement signed with the China National Textile & Apparel Council (CNTAC).
The Walt Disney Company (WDC) is to phase out the sourcing of Disney-branded products from Bangladesh, Belarus, Ecuador, Pakistan and Venezuela over concerns the countries no longer meet its guidelines on working conditions.
Pakistan's National Tariff Commission (NTC) has decided to remove anti-dumping duty on imports of polyester staple fibre (PSF) from China after a four-month evaluation.
Over 250 export-bound garment containers are stuck at Pakistan's Karachi International Container Terminal (KICT) after problems with security scanning facilities led to a backlog.
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019