just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Ahmed Abdullah
Following Pakistan's accession to the EU's GSP+ scheme, Chinese firms are eyeing the country as a competitive destination for foreign investment in the textile and garment sectors.
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports grew 8% to US$6.9bn in the first half of the current fiscal year, helped by improved availability of yarns and fabrics for domestic garment makers.
Textile producers in Pakistan are upbeat about the year ahead, with opportunities seen to include market access under the European Union's GSP+ trade scheme, the changing dynamics of the Chinese textile industry, labour unrest and higher wages in Bangladesh, and the local availability of cheaper fibres, especially cotton.
Thousands of garment export consignments remain stranded at Karachi Port and across Pakistan after an 11-day strike by transport workers, which ended on Monday.
A strategy that could contribute to targets to double Pakistan's textile and clothing exports over the next three years by making the industry socially accountable has been unveiled.
Chinese investors are to set up woven and knitted garment factories in Punjab, Pakistan's largest textile-producing province, following an agreement signed with the China National Textile & Apparel Council (CNTAC).
The Walt Disney Company (WDC) is to phase out the sourcing of Disney-branded products from Bangladesh, Belarus, Ecuador, Pakistan and Venezuela over concerns the countries no longer meet its guidelines on working conditions.
Pakistan's National Tariff Commission (NTC) has decided to remove anti-dumping duty on imports of polyester staple fibre (PSF) from China after a four-month evaluation.
Over 250 export-bound garment containers are stuck at Pakistan's Karachi International Container Terminal (KICT) after problems with security scanning facilities led to a backlog.
Utility companies in Pakistan have come up with what they believe is a solution to the energy supply problems hurting Pakistan's textile industry, with a combination of electricity and gas ensuring continuous power.
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy