just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Ahmed Abdullah
Following Pakistan's accession to the EU's GSP+ scheme, Chinese firms are eyeing the country as a competitive destination for foreign investment in the textile and garment sectors.
Pakistan's textile and clothing exports grew 8% to US$6.9bn in the first half of the current fiscal year, helped by improved availability of yarns and fabrics for domestic garment makers.
Textile producers in Pakistan are upbeat about the year ahead, with opportunities seen to include market access under the European Union's GSP+ trade scheme, the changing dynamics of the Chinese textile industry, labour unrest and higher wages in Bangladesh, and the local availability of cheaper fibres, especially cotton.
Thousands of garment export consignments remain stranded at Karachi Port and across Pakistan after an 11-day strike by transport workers, which ended on Monday.
A strategy that could contribute to targets to double Pakistan's textile and clothing exports over the next three years by making the industry socially accountable has been unveiled.
Chinese investors are to set up woven and knitted garment factories in Punjab, Pakistan's largest textile-producing province, following an agreement signed with the China National Textile & Apparel Council (CNTAC).
The Walt Disney Company (WDC) is to phase out the sourcing of Disney-branded products from Bangladesh, Belarus, Ecuador, Pakistan and Venezuela over concerns the countries no longer meet its guidelines on working conditions.
Pakistan's National Tariff Commission (NTC) has decided to remove anti-dumping duty on imports of polyester staple fibre (PSF) from China after a four-month evaluation.
Over 250 export-bound garment containers are stuck at Pakistan's Karachi International Container Terminal (KICT) after problems with security scanning facilities led to a backlog.
Utility companies in Pakistan have come up with what they believe is a solution to the energy supply problems hurting Pakistan's textile industry, with a combination of electricity and gas ensuring continuous power.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details