just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Alan Osborn
Germany's textile and fashion industry is sceptical about proposals by development minister Gerd Müller to establish minimum health, safety and social standards in outsourced manufacturing countries.
The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), is to introduce a sustainability certificate for textile and clothing companies listing their compliance with set standards in the areas of social and environmental policy.
Cotton's share of the US clothing market has fallen following the sharp rise in cotton prices in 2012 - but the industry is fighting back.
A number of issues affecting the clothing, textile and footwear industry are facing the re-elected US Administration, including the fiscal cliff and talks to expand the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal.
Senior figures in leading European fashion houses and high-end industries have been told by the European Commission that a number of key initiatives "to boost creativity in the sector" will be announced by Brussels towards the end of the year.
As textile recycling continues to gain importance worldwide, and the number of companies dedicated to processing used apparel or scraps increases as well, governments and industry alike are working to establish textile waste legislation.
Textile recycling has come a long way since the days of the rag-and-bone man a generation or so ago, with particularly dramatic changes happening in some European countries over the past ten years. As a result, sources of advice on recycling for the textile and clothing industry have grown apace.
- Under Armour on track with new UAS sportswear line
- Myanmar garment exports surged 20% in 2015
- EU trade ministers push on TTIP and Canada pacts
- What does the future hold for world wool supply?
- Why synthetic fibres are a safe bet for the future
- US retailers urge action on Hanjin Shipping crisis
- Zara launches eco-friendly Join Life collection
- Adidas unveils first Speedfactory running shoe
- Bangladesh calls for US duty-free apparel access
- Brexit may hit suppliers with UK duty-free access
- Too Many Standards
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Ralph Lauren Corporation : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras