just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Alan Osborn
Germany's textile and fashion industry is sceptical about proposals by development minister Gerd Müller to establish minimum health, safety and social standards in outsourced manufacturing countries.
The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), is to introduce a sustainability certificate for textile and clothing companies listing their compliance with set standards in the areas of social and environmental policy.
Cotton's share of the US clothing market has fallen following the sharp rise in cotton prices in 2012 - but the industry is fighting back.
A number of issues affecting the clothing, textile and footwear industry are facing the re-elected US Administration, including the fiscal cliff and talks to expand the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal.
Senior figures in leading European fashion houses and high-end industries have been told by the European Commission that a number of key initiatives "to boost creativity in the sector" will be announced by Brussels towards the end of the year.
As textile recycling continues to gain importance worldwide, and the number of companies dedicated to processing used apparel or scraps increases as well, governments and industry alike are working to establish textile waste legislation.
Textile recycling has come a long way since the days of the rag-and-bone man a generation or so ago, with particularly dramatic changes happening in some European countries over the past ten years. As a result, sources of advice on recycling for the textile and clothing industry have grown apace.
- 2014: Year in review - Sourcing winners and losers
- COMMENT: The decline of the buying office
- 2014: Year in review - Brand winners and losers
- 2014: Year in review - Retail winners and losers
- Bangladesh: The business benefits of compliance
- Report urges overhaul of Cambodia factory safety
- North Face debuts locally-grown "backyard" hoodie
- Apparel manufacturing leads US reshoring trend
- Triumph recalls 22,000 bras for underwire fault
- Shanghai Challenge buys stake in Masood Textile