just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Devangshu Dutta
The Indian government's decision to relax restrictions on foreign investment in the country's retail industry doesn't mean the end of the debate, writes Devangshu Dutta.
Branded apparel retailer Indian Terrain Fashions plans to launch a 'Made in America' jeans brand using denim from a US mill which will be made into jeans in Guatemala. It's a move that bucks trends for brands sold in India, which mainly buy denim products from within the country.
Lured by India's booming consumer market and hopes that it will soon ease its retail investment rules, more and more apparel brands see the country as an opportunity to grow their businesses. But their experiences suggest it is not as easy as it might seem. Here, Devangshu Dutta discusses the shopping habits on Indian consumers and why pricing remains a critical challenge.
- What Marks & Spencer's numbers mean for clothing
- Balance essential in garment supply chain
- Tanzania adds to Africa’s apparel sourcing mix
- Where next for 3D design and prototyping?
- Supply chain weighs on Kering's green footprint
- AGOA delays drag on sourcing decisions
- Brandix named PVH ‘Global Supplier of the Year’
- American Eagle Outfitters Q1 earnings soar
- Apparel bright spot in Wal-Mart Q1
- EU and Turkey to update customs union