just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Devangshu Dutta
The Indian government's decision to relax restrictions on foreign investment in the country's retail industry doesn't mean the end of the debate, writes Devangshu Dutta.
Branded apparel retailer Indian Terrain Fashions plans to launch a 'Made in America' jeans brand using denim from a US mill which will be made into jeans in Guatemala. It's a move that bucks trends for brands sold in India, which mainly buy denim products from within the country.
Lured by India's booming consumer market and hopes that it will soon ease its retail investment rules, more and more apparel brands see the country as an opportunity to grow their businesses. But their experiences suggest it is not as easy as it might seem. Here, Devangshu Dutta discusses the shopping habits on Indian consumers and why pricing remains a critical challenge.
- M&S to launch supply chain human rights policy
- VF pushes ahead on chemicals management
- M&S project benefits garment worker health
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Key pieces of US trade agenda signed into law
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- C&A to add "accurate fit" label to garments
- US retail landscape "mediocre" over next 5 years
- Over 8,000 children in Delhi garment industry
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day