just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Dilshani Samaraweera
Two years after it was formally removed from the GSP+ scheme that allowed duty-free exports to the EU, Sri Lanka's apparel industry says it is feeling the loss of the preferential tariff system.
The government of India has agreed to increase Sri Lanka's duty-free export quota for apparel by 5m pieces, more than doubling the previous allocation.
Sri Lanka's apparel industry is trying to compete with neighbouring Bangladesh by setting up no-frills, low cost, apparel manufacturing units in rural parts of the country.
The Timex Group, one of Sri Lanka's leading export apparel manufacturers, has launched one of its own brand labels in the UK through high street department store chain BHS.
Sri Lankan apparel giant Brandix Group says efforts to boost the sustainability of its operations have also given it a significant competitive advantage, contributing to bottom-line growth by cutting costs and upping sales.
Sri Lanka's apparel manufacturers see export demand holding up this year despite concerns about a slowing European economy, thanks to a focus on ethical manufacturing, factory investment, and the arrival of new international buyers. Dilshami Samaraweera spoke with firms showcasing their products at the recent Sri Lanka Expo 2012.
Sri Lanka's apparel industry says it is gearing up to transform the country into an Asian apparel hub, starting this year.
The Timex Group, one of Sri Lanka's top five manufacturers of apparel for export markets, has taken its own brand label into India after opening its first retail outlet in Bangalore last week.
The Sri Lankan government is seeking investors for a number of shuttered garment factories.
Coats Thread Exports, the largest domestic producer of thread for Sri Lanka's export apparel makers, says the local industry will most probably weather the economic slowdown in major western markets without too much pain.
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Fire and safety events to converge on Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam