just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Dilshani Samaraweera
Two years after it was formally removed from the GSP+ scheme that allowed duty-free exports to the EU, Sri Lanka's apparel industry says it is feeling the loss of the preferential tariff system.
The government of India has agreed to increase Sri Lanka's duty-free export quota for apparel by 5m pieces, more than doubling the previous allocation.
Sri Lanka's apparel industry is trying to compete with neighbouring Bangladesh by setting up no-frills, low cost, apparel manufacturing units in rural parts of the country.
The Timex Group, one of Sri Lanka's leading export apparel manufacturers, has launched one of its own brand labels in the UK through high street department store chain BHS.
Sri Lankan apparel giant Brandix Group says efforts to boost the sustainability of its operations have also given it a significant competitive advantage, contributing to bottom-line growth by cutting costs and upping sales.
Sri Lanka's apparel manufacturers see export demand holding up this year despite concerns about a slowing European economy, thanks to a focus on ethical manufacturing, factory investment, and the arrival of new international buyers. Dilshami Samaraweera spoke with firms showcasing their products at the recent Sri Lanka Expo 2012.
Sri Lanka's apparel industry says it is gearing up to transform the country into an Asian apparel hub, starting this year.
The Timex Group, one of Sri Lanka's top five manufacturers of apparel for export markets, has taken its own brand label into India after opening its first retail outlet in Bangalore last week.
The Sri Lankan government is seeking investors for a number of shuttered garment factories.
Coats Thread Exports, the largest domestic producer of thread for Sri Lanka's export apparel makers, says the local industry will most probably weather the economic slowdown in major western markets without too much pain.
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can technology shape a sustainable fashion future?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Talks progressing on Myanmar minimum wage
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- Hugo Boss in talks over supplier labour claims
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015