just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Dominique Patton
China has issued a new directive encouraging textile companies to move factories away from manufacturing hubs in the east to poorer provinces.
A stronger yuan will combine with rising labour costs to make China an increasingly expensive manufacturing location, warn Chinese garment makers.
Chinese garment makers are closely watching the recent surge in strike activity across China but say sufficient wages should keep their workers from downing tools.
Cotton prices in China are nearing their historical peak, squeezing garment manufacturers just as they head into the important summer buying season.
A year after Chinese manufacturers laid off millions of workers to cope with declining exports, many are now reporting a shortage of labour to meet the pick-up in demand from Western retailers. And factories fear they will be forced to raise wages this year if they are to attract enough workers.
Wal-Mart's new agreement with Hong Kong sourcing expert Li & Fung will bring benefits to both companies, each already a giant in its field. Not only will it help the retailer to cut costs and spread its global exposure, but it could also double Li & Fung's business, writes Dominique Patton.
China’s luxury goods market is defying the downturn, with increasing numbers of consumers prepared to pay for high-quality, designer brands. A new study predicts the country’s luxury sales will grow between 15% and 20% this year, but as Dominique Patton finds out, expanding in the Chinese market is far from easy.
Chinese workers making shoes and other products for Wal-Mart are working in “sweatshop conditions” because of the retailer’s pressure on suppliers’ prices, says a new report.
As the European Union considers extending anti-dumping duties on Chinese leather shoes, China’s shoe manufacturers are bracing for a further hit to exports. Many have already shifted business away from Europe, while others are turning towards the domestic market, as Dominique Patton reports.
Chinese garment makers are seeing some signs of recovery in export markets but business remains tough after the financial crisis.
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Mexico's shoe makers blame their woes on China
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects