just-style authors and correspondents
Ivan Castano Freeman
Articles by Ivan Castano Freeman
Colombia's textiles and apparel industry is set to grow 7% to $9bn in 2014, buoyed by strong domestic sales. The forecast comes as sourcing and fashion fair Colombiamoda raised $308m in its 25th edition, after a three-in-one integration bet proved a wise investment.
Nicaragua's apparel industry is expected to grow 8% to $1.5bn this year, fuelled by rising exports to the US. But while the numbers are encouraging, there are fears they may not last long.
Central America is increasingly nervous about Vietnam's participation in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade talks, with some experts claiming its inclusion could bring losses of around $6bn to its bread-winning textiles and apparel sector.
Mexico is working to grow and internationalise its fashion industry - but observers say it faces huge challenges to achieve that goal.
Mexico's shoe industry continues to blame its woes on China - demanding the government act to quell a flood of imports which trade leaders say could force the shutdown of hundreds of factories.
Some 600 footwear industry leaders will gather in Leon, Mexico in November to mull strategies to grow the industry and tackle illegal commerce, particularly stemming from China and Asia, according to industry executives.
Peru plans to double its textile and apparel exports by 2017 and invest over $60m to promote its key designer brands in international markets.
Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Salvatore Ferragamo are Latin America's leading luxury brands, according to industry observers who add the region's elite follow global trends when it comes to choosing their favourite labels.
Latin America's luxury apparel market is poised for strong growth - yet high import tariffs in some countries, most notably Brazil, and a large counterfeit trade in Mexico could keep some brands at bay, industry observers say.
After more than doubling its growth rates between 2008 and 2012, Brazil is the darling of Latin America's luxury apparel and goods market. Last year, the market for designer clothing and footwear grew 7.3% to $2.6bn, while sales of luxury accessories increased 4.5% to 1.2bn.
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Apparel industry not immune from Russia tensions
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey