just-style authors and correspondents
Ivan Castano Freeman
Articles by Ivan Castano Freeman
After 40 years in Costa Rica, Hanesbrands has decided to move its men's boxers production to Vietnam and will dismiss 1,250 workers in the process.
Colombia's textiles and apparel industry is set to grow 7% to $9bn in 2014, buoyed by strong domestic sales. The forecast comes as sourcing and fashion fair Colombiamoda raised $308m in its 25th edition, after a three-in-one integration bet proved a wise investment.
Nicaragua's apparel industry is expected to grow 8% to $1.5bn this year, fuelled by rising exports to the US. But while the numbers are encouraging, there are fears they may not last long.
Central America is increasingly nervous about Vietnam's participation in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade talks, with some experts claiming its inclusion could bring losses of around $6bn to its bread-winning textiles and apparel sector.
Mexico is working to grow and internationalise its fashion industry - but observers say it faces huge challenges to achieve that goal.
Mexico's shoe industry continues to blame its woes on China - demanding the government act to quell a flood of imports which trade leaders say could force the shutdown of hundreds of factories.
Some 600 footwear industry leaders will gather in Leon, Mexico in November to mull strategies to grow the industry and tackle illegal commerce, particularly stemming from China and Asia, according to industry executives.
Peru plans to double its textile and apparel exports by 2017 and invest over $60m to promote its key designer brands in international markets.
Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Salvatore Ferragamo are Latin America's leading luxury brands, according to industry observers who add the region's elite follow global trends when it comes to choosing their favourite labels.
Latin America's luxury apparel market is poised for strong growth - yet high import tariffs in some countries, most notably Brazil, and a large counterfeit trade in Mexico could keep some brands at bay, industry observers say.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details