just-style authors and correspondents
Ivan Castano Freeman
Articles by Ivan Castano Freeman
Global apparel brands must boost innovation and put customers at the centre of their growth strategies in order to survive an increasingly challenging market, industry executives said at the International Apparel Federation's 30th Fashion Convention in Colombia last week.
Adriano Goldschmied, Diesel's co-founder, is working to promote a new stretch fabric he hopes will turn around the fortunes of the $50bn denim industry.
The International Apparel Federation (IAF)'s 30th annual convention launched in Medellin, Colombia on Tuesday (29 September), luring 330 delegates from over 15 countries to discuss the industry's latest challenges.
After 40 years in Costa Rica, Hanesbrands has decided to move its men's boxers production to Vietnam and will dismiss 1,250 workers in the process.
Colombia's textiles and apparel industry is set to grow 7% to $9bn in 2014, buoyed by strong domestic sales. The forecast comes as sourcing and fashion fair Colombiamoda raised $308m in its 25th edition, after a three-in-one integration bet proved a wise investment.
Nicaragua's apparel industry is expected to grow 8% to $1.5bn this year, fuelled by rising exports to the US. But while the numbers are encouraging, there are fears they may not last long.
Central America is increasingly nervous about Vietnam's participation in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade talks, with some experts claiming its inclusion could bring losses of around $6bn to its bread-winning textiles and apparel sector.
Mexico is working to grow and internationalise its fashion industry - but observers say it faces huge challenges to achieve that goal.
Mexico's shoe industry continues to blame its woes on China - demanding the government act to quell a flood of imports which trade leaders say could force the shutdown of hundreds of factories.
Some 600 footwear industry leaders will gather in Leon, Mexico in November to mull strategies to grow the industry and tackle illegal commerce, particularly stemming from China and Asia, according to industry executives.
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- VF Corp ups guidance as Q3 earnings climb
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam