just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Jeremy Mullins
Myanmar apparel makers have warned that a ban on moving lorries and trucks to seaport terminals through the busy streets of Myanmar's commercial capital Yangon has placed a heavy logistical burden on the country's growing clothing sector.
America may have scrapped its major sanctions against emerging outsourcing centre Myanmar, and brought back the southeast Asian country's GSP (Generalised System of Preferences) access to US markets, but the impact on the clothing trade has so far been underwhelming.
As the global clothing and textile industry looks towards a 2017 where trade relations are unpredictable, fast fashion giant Hennes & Mauritz (H&M) invited stakeholders to an event in Myanmar – attended by just-style – to look at how to maintain stability on the factory front by improving labour relations.
American orders of ‘Made in Myanmar’ garments are growing, although uncertainty on sanctions and a lack of preferential market access is hindering further expansion, according to experts.
A Myanmar Textiles Manufacturers Association has finally been launched, following years of discussion about creating an upstream textile-specific body in this fast developing southeast Asian country.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts