just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Jonathan Dyson
It is a fair assumption that sourcing closer to a market will usually shorten delivery times. But before considering where, or indeed whether, to source closer to home, brands must first consider their company’s objectives.
Brands operating in the fast fashion sector face numerous challenges, in particular ensuring they make decisions ensuring they get orders right the first time.
It is early days when it comes to measuring reshoring in the clothing and textile sector, the return of production to mature markets from the Asian outsourcers who have dominated supply for the past decade. But industry experts and players in both the UK and US are sure that it is happening.
Ayka Addis Textile - the Ethiopian subsidiary of the Turkish textile and garment manufacturer Ayka Tekstil - has told just-style it is anticipating strong growth in its sales over the coming years due to a growing number of European retailers looking to source from Ethiopia.
Brands and retailers in the UK and other parts of Europe are "coming back" to Turkey as a source of textiles and clothing as they seek to diversify their supply chains away from Asia.
Final negotiations are underway to secure a planned investment by Turkish textile manufacturer Akber to construct the biggest textile plant in Ethiopia so far.
Turkey's clothing industry is anticipating stronger export growth in 2014, despite growing concerns within the sector about increasing pressure on price from European retailers.
The Macedonian government has embarked on a new expansion strategy for its textile and clothing sector as it looks to grow its exports to the European Union (EU) and other global markets.
The Croatian Chamber of Economy (CCE) has told just-style that the country plans to utilise European Union (EU) funding to help boost its textile and clothing industry after it becomes the 28th EU member state today (1 July).
The group representing Turkish clothing manufacturers has reiterated to just-style that there has been no disruption to its delivery of orders following the civil unrest that has been taking place in the country for more than a week.
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Ethiopia textile and apparel exports lagging
- Hanesbrands Q4 performance “disappoints”
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024