just-style authors and correspondents
Jozef De Coster
Articles by Jozef De Coster
The Philippine garment industry is optimistic that in the next few years nearly 500,000 new textile and garment jobs can be created if the country obtains beneficial trade access to the European Union and United States.
Laos has set its sights on more than doubling its clothing exports by 2015. But while order books are full and overseas demand on the rise, problems finding and retaining workers could prove to be major stumbling block. Jozef De Coster reports.
Cambodia's reputation as a standard-bearer for apparel x - and yet the country is a rising star when it comes to attracting foreign investment and increasing exports.
Burma's garment industry has huge potential to contribute to national economic growth, both as a foreign exchange earner and a massive job provider. However, in order to achieve its full potential, the sector needs to overcome a range of obstacles, outlined here by Jozef De Coster.
Burma, the poorest country in South East Asia, is seen as having untapped garment production and sourcing opportunities thanks to its low labour costs, large workforce and beneficial access to rich consumer markets. But it also faces considerable challenges if it is to become competitive. Jozef De Coster reports.
The first ever International Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition, which took place in Burma (Myanmar) this week, mirrored the sense of optimism gripping the country's clothing sector.
In contrast to 2009, when Colombia's textile and apparel exports tumbled by 40% due to a political row with its neighbour and main customer Venezuela, as well as falling international demand due to the global economic crisis, the industry is now feeling bullish.
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy