just-style authors and correspondents
Jozef De Coster
Articles by Jozef De Coster
The impact of global trade policies, particularly free trade agreements, continues to preoccupy the European Apparel and Textile Confederation (Euratex). Its just-released annual report points out that pacts with key markets around the world remain a key priority. And a conference last week continued the debate, looking at the benefits of existing FTAs and the potential impact of those in the pipeline.
The Philippine garment industry is optimistic that in the next few years nearly 500,000 new textile and garment jobs can be created if the country obtains beneficial trade access to the European Union and United States.
Laos has set its sights on more than doubling its clothing exports by 2015. But while order books are full and overseas demand on the rise, problems finding and retaining workers could prove to be major stumbling block. Jozef De Coster reports.
Cambodia's reputation as a standard-bearer for apparel x - and yet the country is a rising star when it comes to attracting foreign investment and increasing exports.
Burma's garment industry has huge potential to contribute to national economic growth, both as a foreign exchange earner and a massive job provider. However, in order to achieve its full potential, the sector needs to overcome a range of obstacles, outlined here by Jozef De Coster.
Burma, the poorest country in South East Asia, is seen as having untapped garment production and sourcing opportunities thanks to its low labour costs, large workforce and beneficial access to rich consumer markets. But it also faces considerable challenges if it is to become competitive. Jozef De Coster reports.
The first ever International Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition, which took place in Burma (Myanmar) this week, mirrored the sense of optimism gripping the country's clothing sector.
In contrast to 2009, when Colombia's textile and apparel exports tumbled by 40% due to a political row with its neighbour and main customer Venezuela, as well as falling international demand due to the global economic crisis, the industry is now feeling bullish.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Weatherproof jackets release harmful chemicals"
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies