just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Katie Smith
A lack of collaboration between the textile and electronic industries continues to be one of the main obstacles to progress in smart garments, experts believe, although once this happens they could enter the mass market within five to ten years.
Struggling teen apparel retailer Aeropostale has been delisted by the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) due to its "abnormally low" trading price, amid reports it is preparing to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
US sporting goods giant Nike has promoted Michael Spillane to the position of president of product and merchandising as one of a number of changes designed to drive further growth.
Just days before the third anniversary of the Rana Plaza building collapse in Bangladesh, just-style looks at the changes that have been made to improve worker and building safety within the country's ready-made garment industry. While progress has undoubtedly been made, questions remain about the speed of remediation if all parties involved are to leave their legacy of safer factories in 2018.
Hanesbrands, one of the world's largest underwear and activewear apparel manufacturers, has posted first-quarter profit and sales growth, driven by its recent acquisitions.
The most-read stories on just-style this week include the news that Austin Reed has been acquired by Alteri Investors, a new worker training tool launched in China, and a new transparency index reveals a large number of global apparel companies are still operating with little knowledge or control of their supply chains.
US clothing business Oxford Industries is expanding its portfolio by acquiring lifestyle apparel brand Southern Tide in a deal worth US$85m.
With the weather improving, UK retailers will be hoping their new summer lines can lure consumers back into stores this month, after clothing sales continued on their downward trajectory in March.
US yarn manufacturer Unifi posted a mixed third-quarter performance, with both profit and sales falling due to the devaluation of the Brazilian real and the timing of the Easter holidays, while gross margin improved thanks to its international segment.
A Swedish technology company has started the construction of a closed loop recycling plant that will convert old textiles into textile pulp to produce new clothing.
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis