just-style authors and correspondents
Katie Smith is a reporter for just-style and the newest member of the editorial team. Since she joined parent company Aroq Ltd she has written for both just-style and its sister site just-food, as well as completing a post-graduate training course in magazine journalism.
As part of her current role, Katie is building on her knowledge of the global apparel and footwear industry by generating, researching and writing news stories and insights.
Articles by Katie Smith
US clothing giant Gap Inc has set its sights on growing operating margin beyond 13%, as it looks to gain a larger share of the US$1.4 trillion global apparel market. Key to this is building a more responsive supply chain, seamless inventory, international expansion, and omni-channel capabilities.
UK retailer Sports Direct International says it is confident it will meet its full-year profit target, after booking a double-digit hike in fourth-quarter sales.
UK value fashion retailer Primark has hailed what it described as an "excellent performance by any standard" during the first half, after booking a 26% hike in profit.
Women's wear retailer Bebe Stores says it expects a wider third-quarter loss than first forecast, after winter storms and the late timing of Easter led to lower sales.
Retailer Wal-Mart de Mexico, known locally as Walmex, has blamed higher expenses and a shift in the timing of Easter for a 4.5% drop in first-quarter profit.
Skechers USA has seen its first-quarter profit increase more than four-fold, on the back of double-digit sales growth and higher margins.
Women's wear, lingerie and accessories retailer Etam Group has reported a 53% hike in annual net profit, despite a slight decline in sales.
Mulberry has issued its second profit warning since Christmas, with one analyst saying it underpins the struggle it has had trying to transition itself from a luxury brand to an uber luxury label.
Gap Inc says it expects sales in China to grow to US$1bn in three years to become the US retail giant's second-biggest market.
Double-digit growth in sales of outerwear and tailored clothing helped drive a 4% increase in women's apparel sales in the US last year.
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Changes in China cotton policies cause uncertainty
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Gap to grow China sales to $1bn in three years
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy