just-style authors and correspondents
In her role as news editor at just-style, Katie Smith oversees the site's daily news feed, researching and writing news and analyses, tracking down exclusive stories, and interviewing industry executives for their insight into the key stories.
With a post-graduate qualification in magazine journalism, Katie honed her business knowledge on just-style's sister titles just-food and just-auto.
Articles by Katie Smith
US apparel manufacturer Hanesbrands delivered a somewhat disappointing fourth-quarter performance, as warmer weather hurt sales, and provided "conservative" guidance for fiscal 2016.
Hurt by adverse weather conditions, a continued shift by consumers to invest in high-value items such as cars, and a general slump after the holiday period, it's no surprise US apparel retailers suffered in January, with the majority reporting comparable store sales declines.
Analysts have said there will be "no catalyst for sentiment change" at Ralph Lauren until May, after the US apparel giant lowered its full-year outlook and posted a double-digit decline in third-quarter net profit.
The most-read stories on just-style this week include a new report which found Syrian refugee workers in Turkish clothing factories that supply the likes of Next and H&M, renewed fears for worker safety after the latest garment factory fire in Bangladesh, and an update from Under Armour on its competitive positioning.
German fashion brand Hugo Boss has appointed former Puma executive Reiner Hengstmann as senior head of global sustainability.
UK retail sales bounced back in January from their worst Christmas since 2008, with fashion being the strongest performer, thanks to extended discounts during the month.
A fire that broke out at a garment factory in Bangladesh that was supposedly "on track" with remedial action highlights the race against time to make Bangladesh's garment factories safe, according to one industry trade union.
Functional textile specialist Sympatex Technologies is extending its innovative footwear laminate for use in the occupational safety sector.
Outdoor fabric specialist WL Gore & Associates has introduced what it describes as the "next generation" of protective arc-flash rated rainwear fabric.
Luxury lifestyle brand Michael Kors has said it is "pleased" with its third-quarter trading performance after sales were bolstered by strong growth in Japan, but profit slipped 3%.
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Gap deepens social and environmental efforts
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Syrian refugee children found in Turkish factories
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024