just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Kitty So
Experts have warned that clothing companies from developed countries who implement international ethical standards when investing in Myanmar/Burma will probably be competing with Asian companies who ignore such guidance.
Governments from European countries have used a session at the OECD Global Forum on Responsible Business Conduct to call on garment companies who sourced from the Rana Plaza factory complex in Bangladesh to fund compensation to victims of the building's collapse one year ago.
Apparel and textile companies must consider a variety of complex factors when looking to switch suppliers, especially to a new manufacturer. But software specifically geared towards the sector can help companies track these changes, anticipate issues, and integrate new suppliers within the supply chain.
As brands and retailers set higher production standards and create ever more complex supply chains, they need to consider all the risks when switching suppliers.
Despite brands' desire to monitor more operations, the fragmented organisation of standards around the world remains a key challenge.
With the need to check the safety of supply chains a growing concern, software providers are updating their products to help apparel and textile companies monitor their manufacturing and distribution partners.
Ahead of an expected explosion in demand for wood pulp-based fibres such as rayon and viscose, environmental groups are calling on apparel and textile firms to ensure they do not come from endangered forests. H&M and Inditex are the latest to update their sourcing commitments.
As safety inspections on more than 1,500 garment factories supplying a group of mainly European retailers get underway this week, just-style speaks with Brad Loewen, the top safety official overseeing the effort.
US budgets cutting development aid to Cambodia will not harm the Cambodian textile sector, its key industry association told just-style.
Turkey has replaced China as the United States' top cotton export market - but the US industry does not expect the shift to last.
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Macy’s increases sustainability efforts
- Wal-Mart replaces US division chief
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges