just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Lee Adendorff
If the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is agreed by the 12 Asian and Americas countries participating in talks on the deal, it will without doubt be one of the most significant free trade agreements for the clothing and textile industry.
After the latest round of TPP talks failed to clinch a deal last week, the race is now on to secure an agreement before the US presidential elections halt progress.
2014 was a tumultuous year for many garment-making countries. While some were burdened by ongoing industrial unrest and allegations of poverty wages and labour violations, others saw exports increase in a critically competitive environment.
Wearable technology, 3D printing, and new frontier fabrics: 2014 was the year where science wove itself onto threads as never before.
International expansion, strong online performance and ethical commitments helped lift some retailers during 2014, but merchandise misses, the closure of underperforming stores, and a profit overstatement weighed on others.
Successful turnaround plans, strong export growth, and innovative products paid dividends for some brands in 2014, while others were dented by takeover talk, adverse currency impacts and unsubstantiated marketing claims.
From scanning technology for major sizing studies, to magic mirrors or virtual fitting rooms, 3D technology is helping to transform both retail stores and online shopping.
The reality of 3D printing and its commercial application in the fashion industry is currently restricted to a relatively limited range of materials. These include mostly plastics and metals, although materials research is in constant evolution.
Many analysts describe 3D as 'disruptive' technology and its introduction into the apparel industry has not been without sceptics. But workplace examples show how apparel companies are successfully embracing 3D software.
Three-dimensional (3D) technology - while well established in many other industrial sectors like aerospace, architecture and industrial design - is still relatively new to the fashion industry.
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020