just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Lee Adendorff
New fabric finishing technologies and recycling initiatives were among the green garment highlights of 2015, but polyfluorinated chemicals, pollution and forced labour came under fire.
2015 was a mixed bag for many garment-making countries. While some saw exports and investments increase in a critically competitive environment, others were burdened by ongoing industrial unrest, allegations of poverty wages and labour violations, sanctions and currency effects.
Investments in new facilities, automation and technology, and worker training schemes paid dividends for some apparel suppliers in 2015, while others were hampered by pay disputes and safety violations.
Online apparel sales, the right product mix at the right price points and a successful stance against counterfeiters helped lift some retailers during 2015, but bankruptcy filings and inventory mis-management weighed on others.
Sophisticated tools are now commercially available to analyse social media and combine social ‘chatter’ with sales data to have a transformative impact on fast fashion.
If the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is agreed by the 12 Asian and Americas countries participating in talks on the deal, it will without doubt be one of the most significant free trade agreements for the clothing and textile industry.
After the latest round of TPP talks failed to clinch a deal last week, the race is now on to secure an agreement before the US presidential elections halt progress.
2014 was a tumultuous year for many garment-making countries. While some were burdened by ongoing industrial unrest and allegations of poverty wages and labour violations, others saw exports increase in a critically competitive environment.
Wearable technology, 3D printing, and new frontier fabrics: 2014 was the year where science wove itself onto threads as never before.
International expansion, strong online performance and ethical commitments helped lift some retailers during 2014, but merchandise misses, the closure of underperforming stores, and a profit overstatement weighed on others.
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024