just-style authors and correspondents
Leonie Barrie joined just-style as managing editor 14 years ago, and during that time has been instrumental in steering the site's editorial content and direction. Under her leadership, just-style has raised its profile internationally, and today boasts a team of contributors around the world who provide a unique blend of up-to-the-minute news, research and analysis on the apparel and footwear industry and its supply chain.
An experienced business journalist with a background in fashion and textiles, Leonie has written extensively about global sourcing and production, technology, emerging markets, as well as retail, brand and marketing strategies. She has also interviewed industry leaders across the globe. As managing editor Leonie has travelled around the world to gain first-hand experience of the industry in various countries, and continues to deliver keynote speeches, chair roundtable and panel sessions at conferences, and write about the international apparel industry and the challenges and opportunities it faces.
Columns by Leonie Barrie
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
Articles by Leonie Barrie
The clothing and footwear industry thrives on new materials and is increasingly committed to reducing its social and environmental impacts - which should be good news for the uptake of innovative new products and processes. But that’s not always the case, as a series of workshops across three continents heard recently.
A meeting is taking place within the European Union (EU) today (23 January) to consult on a proposed “flagship initiative” on responsible management of the garment sector supply chain.
New research into Italian shoe and garment factories suggests that competition with Eastern Europe and Asia is driving down wages and working conditions in Italy.
Cone Denim has agreed a new R&D collaboration with DSM Dyneema, which it says opens up tremendous opportunities for its expanding line of performance denims.
UK based ladies’ and children’s wear manufacturer Studio One is implementing the Visual End-2-End software suite to connect and centralise all product information and processes.
Swiss company Sanitized AG, which specialises in antimicrobial treatments for textiles and synthetic materials, is strengthening its distribution in Europe.
Westex by Milliken and Cone Denim are teaming up to launch flame resistant denim apparel fabrics for the workwear industry.
Organisers of the upcoming Texprocess trade fair say the event in Frankfurt, Germany is almost fully booked, with four months still to go before it opens its doors in May.
Brazilian footwear firms are stepping up their export efforts as part of a BRL41.4m (US$15.7m) programme over the next two years to target new customers in the US, Mexico, Colombia, Germany, the United Arab Emirates, China and Russia.
The decision by US-based retailer Target Corporation to shut down its Canadian stores has been welcomed by an analyst who says the "exit is a positive."
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead