just-style authors and correspondents
Leonie Barrie joined just-style as managing editor 14 years ago, and during that time has been instrumental in steering the site's editorial content and direction. Under her leadership, just-style has raised its profile internationally, and today boasts a team of contributors around the world who provide a unique blend of up-to-the-minute news, research and analysis on the apparel and footwear industry and its supply chain.
An experienced business journalist with a background in fashion and textiles, Leonie has written extensively about global sourcing and production, technology, emerging markets, brand and marketing strategies. In her capacity as managing editor she has also travelled around the world to gain first-hand experience of the industry in various countries, as well as attending and speaking at conferences and writing about the international apparel industry and the challenges and opportunities it faces.
Columns by Leonie Barrie
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
Articles by Leonie Barrie
US retail giant Gap Inc has made no secret of the fact that it faced - and continues to face - a number of compliance issues linked to its decision to start sourcing garments from Myanmar/Burma. And the extent of these challenges has now been revealed.
An initiative that claims to have closed the first circular chain in the textile industry with fully recyclable work wear, is to receive support to help scale its business globally.
Sporting goods giant Adidas Group is planning to set targets for its suppliers to switch to using only Bluesign approved chemicals in its supply chain.
With World Water Week kicking off in Stockholm this Sunday (31 August), the need for better use of increasingly limited water resources will be in the spotlight. And with water scarcity posing a potential risk to the global cotton industry, the apparel supply chain is being urged to do more to tackle the fibre's huge water footprint.
Apparel maker Jockey International is partnering with Gerber Childrenswear to launch a line of baby clothes.
Decisions on where to focus supply chains involve a complicated mix of wages, productivity, energy costs, currency values and other factors - all of which are quietly but dramatically redrawing the map of global manufacturing cost competitiveness, new research suggests.
Scientists in Sweden have developed what they claim is the world's first garment made entirely from recycled cotton - describing it as a "breakthrough" for the textile industry.
Fit specialist Alvanon is bringing its new sizing and fit workshops to the UK next month in a bid to help fashion executives improve their understanding of the process.
Any talk of Gap Inc's portfolio invariably focuses on its Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy brands. But new number crunching suggests the company's Athleta women's athletic wear line is also gaining momentum.
Hot on the heels of expanding its Dockers brand license agreement with Levi Strauss & Co for the third time in four months, Hampshire Group CEO Paul Buxbaum is optimistic the company turnaround is starting to take hold. Here he talks to just-style about new opportunities and on-going efforts to leverage the firm's supply chain.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report