just-style authors and correspondents
Leonie Barrie joined just-style as managing editor twelve years ago, and during that time has been instrumental in steering the site's editorial content and direction. Under her leadership, just-style has raised its profile internationally, and today boasts a team of contributors around the world who provide a unique blend of up-to-the-minute news, research and analysis on the apparel and footwear industry and its supply chain.
An experienced business journalist with a background in fashion and textiles, Leonie has written extensively about global sourcing and production, technology, emerging markets, brand and marketing strategies. In her capacity as managing editor she has also travelled around the world to gain first-hand experience of the industry in various countries, as well as attending and speaking at conferences and writing about the international apparel industry and the challenges and opportunities it faces.
Columns by Leonie Barrie
just-style editor Leonie Barrie shares her thoughts on some of the top stories in the news.
Articles by Leonie Barrie
Garment maker Crystal Group has rolled out a new system to improve internal communication with its workers on areas ranging from company news to updates on sustainability and suggestions for factory improvement.
A project is to get underway in Myanmar/Burma to develop the capacity of the country's employers' organisations and foster better working practices and solving disputes with workers.
Spanish retail giant Inditex, operator of the Zara fast fashion chain, has renewed a "ground-breaking" agreement designed to monitor and track the retail supply chain.
Despite forecasts suggesting US imports would continue to rise in May - in part to offset the threat of possible industrial action and disruption at major West Coast container ports this summer - the latest data in fact shows apparel imports were down year-on-year. While Vietnam was one of the few countries bucking the overall decline, shipments from China and Bangladesh showed fluctuating fortunes.
Retailer Marks & Spencer is shuffling the responsibilities of its executive team in a move that highlights the growing importance of its online and international businesses.
A statement attributed to the head of Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) has been described as "outrageous and unacceptable" by the US.
Value fashion retailer Primark has launched an investigation after notes and messages were found in its clothing, supposedly from garment workers suffering "degrading sweatshop conditions" and "forced to work exhausting hours."
Efforts to improve working conditions in Bangladesh's ready-made garment (RMG) industry have seen 125 new labour inspectors undergo training as part of an International Labour Organization (ILO) initiative.
As the deadline looms for a new labour contract to be agreed covering dockworkers at 30 West Coast ports, industry officials are warning of "significant" disruption to the US economy if a shutdown occurs.
The United Nations human rights expert on Cambodia has welcomed progress towards setting a minimum wage in the country, but has also expressed concerns about ongoing intimidation of workers and trade union leaders.
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Is China's dream becoming a nightmare scenario?
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- European MEPs call for more TTIP transparency
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies