just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Mark Rowe
The concept of closed loop supply chains sounds a laudable, if possibly Utopian ideal: a virtuous circle of production from cradle to grave and back to cradle again. However, the reality is proving harder to achieve for the clothing and textile sector.
Environmental concerns focus on a range of pollutants in that water, from pesticides on cotton fields to dust storms caused by overgrazing in Inner Mongolia by cashmere goats.
The challenges of working out whether textiles are sourced, produced or manufactured ethically are magnified by the plethora of eco-labelling schemes that apply to the industry.
The former Soviet central Asian state of Kyrgyzstan has a burgeoning textile and clothing industry, and is pushing ahead of regional competitors, a specialist from Harvard Business School has told just-style.
Croatia is set to become the 28th member state of the European Union on 1 July 2013 - a move that offers greater access to EU customers for its textiles and clothing. But there are risks, and the Croatian sector could be in better shape, as Mark Rowe reports.
With its location adjacent to Europe's key fashion centre Italy, a highly skilled labour force and low wages, Albania's textile and clothing industry is repositioning itself amid the unrelenting economic crisis that is gripping Europe.
Research laboratories, scientists and engineers have, for years, been promising the emergence of innovative, 'smart' capabilities for fabrics and textiles, based on advances in the field of nanotechnology. However, as these designs slowly become a reality in the commercial sense, the potential hazards and risk assessments surrounding them are also gaining a sharper focus.
Between T-shirts that incorporate technology allowing people to chat up someone from across the dance floor to vests that can monitor the wearer's health, the past decade has seen some extraordinary developments in high-tech smart fibres and fabrics.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- Accord still struggling to engage industry bodies
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change