just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Paul Cochrane
Egyptian clothing companies that were restricted from using air cargo for exports to North America are getting around the ban.
Jordan's US$1.34bn garment sector continues to expand despite the turmoil in much of the Middle East, with growth forecast at 10% in 2015. Yet while the industry is growing, jeans manufacturers have been complaining about water shortages and rising costs.
Egypt's trade ministry and clothing manufacturers have successfully pushed for a lifting of a temporary ban on all cotton imports by the country’s ministry of agriculture and land reclamation.
Fast fashion sourcing trends in Europe and north America are in flux due to the economic downturn, changes in consumer behaviour and growing awareness of industry practices, especially in the wake of the Rana Plaza collapse in Bangladesh last year. It is a trend noted by major retailers.
The Egyptian government has been mulling paying financial assistance to struggling state-owned textile factories, but ongoing political unease surrounding a key referendum has delayed such plans.
While Egypt's economy is reeling from ongoing political instability following the overthrow of the Muslim Brotherhood-led government in July, clothing manufacturers are still operating and completing orders.
A strike planned by 22,000 workers at Egypt's largest state-owned textile factory has been called off after the government agreed to their demands - but has prompted other Egyptian textile and clothing workers to threaten similar walk-outs.
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Central America must make better use of DR-CAFTA
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- Is China really going through a slump?
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- BHS supplier Courtaulds Brands in administration
- Adidas Speedfactory eyes large-scale production
- H&M, Inditex and Nike rated supply chain leaders
- Victoria's Secret Stores, Inc.: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel Accessories in Hong Kong, China
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)
- Practical Price Negotiation for Apparel Sourcing Professionals