just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Paul Cochrane
Jordanian clothing exporters are unhappy that the European Union (EU) has insisted their workforces comprise a minimum 15% of Syrian refugees (rising to 25% in three years’ time) to benefit from special access to EU markets through the generalised scheme of preferences (GSP).
Egyptian clothing companies that were restricted from using air cargo for exports to North America are getting around the ban.
Jordan's US$1.34bn garment sector continues to expand despite the turmoil in much of the Middle East, with growth forecast at 10% in 2015. Yet while the industry is growing, jeans manufacturers have been complaining about water shortages and rising costs.
Egypt's trade ministry and clothing manufacturers have successfully pushed for a lifting of a temporary ban on all cotton imports by the country’s ministry of agriculture and land reclamation.
Fast fashion sourcing trends in Europe and north America are in flux due to the economic downturn, changes in consumer behaviour and growing awareness of industry practices, especially in the wake of the Rana Plaza collapse in Bangladesh last year. It is a trend noted by major retailers.
The Egyptian government has been mulling paying financial assistance to struggling state-owned textile factories, but ongoing political unease surrounding a key referendum has delayed such plans.
While Egypt's economy is reeling from ongoing political instability following the overthrow of the Muslim Brotherhood-led government in July, clothing manufacturers are still operating and completing orders.
A strike planned by 22,000 workers at Egypt's largest state-owned textile factory has been called off after the government agreed to their demands - but has prompted other Egyptian textile and clothing workers to threaten similar walk-outs.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar