just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Poorna Rodrigo
Mass worker faintings in Cambodia's garment factories have soared despite preventive measures, with 896 workers fainting at work in the first half of this year alone - including three deaths - officials have revealed.
A fresh wave of trade union action has hit Cambodia's garment industry, with as many as "25 separate strike actions having taken place within matter of 22 days in August alone", a union has said.
Asia - the world's textile and clothing workshop - is at the heart of many of the industry's sustainability initiatives. The reason is that brands simply cannot afford not to care: their reputation can be seriously damaged if a supplier is responsible for a pollution spill or industrial accident.
Conflicting reports are emerging of the support given to a five-day stay-at-home protest by Cambodia's garment workers trying to put pressure on their bosses to increase wages.
Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has told The German Confederation of Trade Unions (DGB) she wants global buyers to pay more for clothes so her country can pay its garment workers higher wages.
The decline of South Africa's beleaguered garment and textile industry is bottoming out, and the sector has stemmed job losses by 66% between 2010 and 2013, industry experts say.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry expects a 10-15% growth in exports for the current fiscal year ending June, despite factory safety issues and recent political instability.
The Indonesian government's decision to promote natural fibres in place of synthetics may have merit, but the country's garment and textile export industry may not gain from the move, experts argue.
The rapid expansion of India's Apparel Training & Design Centre (ATDC) network - from 39 units in 2009 to 190 in 18 Indian states today - has been lauded for easing an acute labour shortage in the sector.
Cambodia's garment workers are pressing ahead with their demand for higher wages - having staged a four-day overtime boycott, they are now ready for a four-day nationwide stay-at-home strike starting next week.
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report