just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Poorna Rodrigo
Slow and cumbersome traditional financing does not fit the needs of dynamic, small-and-medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in today's fast fashion-driven garment industry.
The European Commission has told just-style it is planning to launch a sustainability impact assessment on a proposed European Union (EU)-Indonesia free trade deal that is expected to boost apparel and textile trade on both sides.
Cambodia unions target US$177 monthly minimum wage as annual talks loom
Uncertainty might sound like a rather nebulous concern for international clothing brands considering their sourcing, but it can be a very tough problem that undermines operational efficiency up and downstream.
Cambodia's garment and footwear exports earned around US$6.3bn in 2015, recording a growth rate of nearly 6.7% when compared with the year before, according to just-released figures from the Cambodian Ministry of Commerce.
With Myanmar’s opposition party the National League for Democracy (NLD) today (13 November) poised to win a majority in the country’s parliament after the election on Sunday (8 November), clothing industry executives will be hoping for a swift normalisation of trade relations, especially with the US.
Bangladesh intends to establish special economic zones called ‘garment villages’ as a key part of its plans to ramp up garment manufacturing to reach a target of US$50bn in exports by 2021, the country's commerce minister Tofail Ahmed has told just-style.
Ethiopia’s Almeda Textile, which supplies apparel to Sweden’s fast-fashion retailer Hennes & Mauritz (H&M), is planning to ramp up production to five times its current capacity in the next five to six years at its Adwa factory, the company told just-style.
The president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Bahrain has told just-style he is working closely with the US Congress to secure a Tariff Preference Level (TPL) extension for the Gulf island kingdom this year.
Bangladesh garment manufacturers are pushing for a tax break – urging the government to collect a levy from just 10% of their export profits, instead of their overall profits as is currently the case.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- $136m funding for Made in NY garment-making hub
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar