just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Poorna Rodrigo
Uncertainty might sound like a rather nebulous concern for international clothing brands considering their sourcing, but it can be a very tough problem that undermines operational efficiency up and downstream.
Cambodia's garment and footwear exports earned around US$6.3bn in 2015, recording a growth rate of nearly 6.7% when compared with the year before, according to just-released figures from the Cambodian Ministry of Commerce.
With Myanmar’s opposition party the National League for Democracy (NLD) today (13 November) poised to win a majority in the country’s parliament after the election on Sunday (8 November), clothing industry executives will be hoping for a swift normalisation of trade relations, especially with the US.
Bangladesh intends to establish special economic zones called ‘garment villages’ as a key part of its plans to ramp up garment manufacturing to reach a target of US$50bn in exports by 2021, the country's commerce minister Tofail Ahmed has told just-style.
Ethiopia’s Almeda Textile, which supplies apparel to Sweden’s fast-fashion retailer Hennes & Mauritz (H&M), is planning to ramp up production to five times its current capacity in the next five to six years at its Adwa factory, the company told just-style.
The president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Bahrain has told just-style he is working closely with the US Congress to secure a Tariff Preference Level (TPL) extension for the Gulf island kingdom this year.
Bangladesh garment manufacturers are pushing for a tax break – urging the government to collect a levy from just 10% of their export profits, instead of their overall profits as is currently the case.
Africa has potential to rival Asia as an apparel sourcing hub, but should learn from Asia’s successes and failures, according to industry experts.
Trade unions and employers in Cambodia's garment sector are denouncing the government's new US$128 minimum monthly wage for the clothing textile and footwear industry.
A Cambodia government-appointed Labour Advisory Committee (LAC) may decide on a new minimum monthly wage for garment sector workers when it meets next week, just-style has been told.
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Retailers warned of high volatility in Brexit wake
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)