just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Poorna Rodrigo
Apparel manufacturing is the third-largest reshored sector of all industries in the US, after electronics and computers, just-style has been told.
Cotton of the Carolinas (CotC) - a collaboration of US farmers and manufacturers dedicated to growing, making and selling custom printed T-shirts in North Carolina and South Carolina - is benefiting from demand for locally produced product, its co-founder has told just-style.
Mass worker faintings in Cambodia's garment factories have soared despite preventive measures, with 896 workers fainting at work in the first half of this year alone - including three deaths - officials have revealed.
A fresh wave of trade union action has hit Cambodia's garment industry, with as many as "25 separate strike actions having taken place within matter of 22 days in August alone", a union has said.
Asia - the world's textile and clothing workshop - is at the heart of many of the industry's sustainability initiatives. The reason is that brands simply cannot afford not to care: their reputation can be seriously damaged if a supplier is responsible for a pollution spill or industrial accident.
Conflicting reports are emerging of the support given to a five-day stay-at-home protest by Cambodia's garment workers trying to put pressure on their bosses to increase wages.
Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has told The German Confederation of Trade Unions (DGB) she wants global buyers to pay more for clothes so her country can pay its garment workers higher wages.
The decline of South Africa's beleaguered garment and textile industry is bottoming out, and the sector has stemmed job losses by 66% between 2010 and 2013, industry experts say.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry expects a 10-15% growth in exports for the current fiscal year ending June, despite factory safety issues and recent political instability.
The Indonesian government's decision to promote natural fibres in place of synthetics may have merit, but the country's garment and textile export industry may not gain from the move, experts argue.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Ultrasonic execs disappear along with company cash
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details