just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Poorna Rodrigo
Conflicting reports are emerging of the support given to a five-day stay-at-home protest by Cambodia's garment workers trying to put pressure on their bosses to increase wages.
Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has told The German Confederation of Trade Unions (DGB) she wants global buyers to pay more for clothes so her country can pay its garment workers higher wages.
The decline of South Africa's beleaguered garment and textile industry is bottoming out, and the sector has stemmed job losses by 66% between 2010 and 2013, industry experts say.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry expects a 10-15% growth in exports for the current fiscal year ending June, despite factory safety issues and recent political instability.
The Indonesian government's decision to promote natural fibres in place of synthetics may have merit, but the country's garment and textile export industry may not gain from the move, experts argue.
The rapid expansion of India's Apparel Training & Design Centre (ATDC) network - from 39 units in 2009 to 190 in 18 Indian states today - has been lauded for easing an acute labour shortage in the sector.
Cambodia's garment workers are pressing ahead with their demand for higher wages - having staged a four-day overtime boycott, they are now ready for a four-day nationwide stay-at-home strike starting next week.
Africa's promising cotton sector needs to reinvent itself by adding value, because 65% of the crop it grows is exported as raw material, industry leaders argue.
Between September and October this year, Uzbekistan opened ten textile and clothing manufacturing plants worth US$120m, just-style has been told.
Nepal's ready-made garment exports shot up by 17.8% during the first two months of the country's current fiscal year starting 16 July.
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Macy’s increases sustainability efforts
- Wal-Mart replaces US division chief
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry