just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Poorna Rodrigo
Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has told The German Confederation of Trade Unions (DGB) she wants global buyers to pay more for clothes so her country can pay its garment workers higher wages.
The decline of South Africa's beleaguered garment and textile industry is bottoming out, and the sector has stemmed job losses by 66% between 2010 and 2013, industry experts say.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry expects a 10-15% growth in exports for the current fiscal year ending June, despite factory safety issues and recent political instability.
The Indonesian government's decision to promote natural fibres in place of synthetics may have merit, but the country's garment and textile export industry may not gain from the move, experts argue.
The rapid expansion of India's Apparel Training & Design Centre (ATDC) network - from 39 units in 2009 to 190 in 18 Indian states today - has been lauded for easing an acute labour shortage in the sector.
Cambodia's garment workers are pressing ahead with their demand for higher wages - having staged a four-day overtime boycott, they are now ready for a four-day nationwide stay-at-home strike starting next week.
Africa's promising cotton sector needs to reinvent itself by adding value, because 65% of the crop it grows is exported as raw material, industry leaders argue.
Between September and October this year, Uzbekistan opened ten textile and clothing manufacturing plants worth US$120m, just-style has been told.
Nepal's ready-made garment exports shot up by 17.8% during the first two months of the country's current fiscal year starting 16 July.
French luxury conglomerate LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton has told the European Commission of the benefits that would flow from its planned merger with Italian cashmere giant Loro Piana.
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Mexico's shoe makers blame their woes on China
- SuperGroup realigns supply chain to support growth
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- City sees "no quick fix" for Debenhams
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects