just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Poorna Rodrigo
Bangladesh intends to establish special economic zones called ‘garment villages’ as a key part of its plans to ramp up garment manufacturing to reach a target of US$50bn in exports by 2021, the country's commerce minister Tofail Ahmed has told just-style.
Ethiopia’s Almeda Textile, which supplies apparel to Sweden’s fast-fashion retailer Hennes & Mauritz (H&M), is planning to ramp up production to five times its current capacity in the next five to six years at its Adwa factory, the company told just-style.
The president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Bahrain has told just-style he is working closely with the US Congress to secure a Tariff Preference Level (TPL) extension for the Gulf island kingdom this year.
Bangladesh garment manufacturers are pushing for a tax break – urging the government to collect a levy from just 10% of their export profits, instead of their overall profits as is currently the case.
Africa has potential to rival Asia as an apparel sourcing hub, but should learn from Asia’s successes and failures, according to industry experts.
Trade unions and employers in Cambodia's garment sector are denouncing the government's new US$128 minimum monthly wage for the clothing textile and footwear industry.
A Cambodia government-appointed Labour Advisory Committee (LAC) may decide on a new minimum monthly wage for garment sector workers when it meets next week, just-style has been told.
Euratex, the Brussels-based European Apparel and Textile Confederation, has hailed the completion of negotiations for a European Union - Canada Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) - but says it regrets that origin rules have been weakened for 15 clothing products under the deal.
Armenia is trying to increase its share of the garment and textile market locally and internationally, with the Russian government trying to help with a US$1m grant.
Apparel manufacturing is the third-largest reshored sector of all industries in the US, after electronics and computers, just-style has been told.
- The Flanarant: TPP – now the real fight starts
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- What clothing could the TPP X-basket contain?
- Where next for e-textiles and smart garments?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New CEO may focus on Ralph Lauren supply chain
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020