just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Raghavendra Verma
Indian garment exporters have widely welcomed a series of financial and labour reforms announced by the government last week to generate 10m jobs and boost exports by $30bn over three years.
Branded garments in India are set to become more expensive following a decision by the central government to impose a 2% excise duty on clothing and textile retail items costing more than INR1,000 (US$14.74).
Special trade access to developed countries is always a boon to emerging market suppliers, and the European Union's (EU) GSP+ system is especially sought after and – according to a recent European Commission report – widely utilised.
Environmental authorities in the Indian state of Rajasthan are in the final stages of closing 893 fabric dyeing units in Sanganer, near the state capital Jaipur.
The newly announced textile joint venture between India's Reliance Industries and China's Shandong Ruyi Science & Technology Group could inspire many more such deals, shifting textile and clothing production bases from China to India, experts have told just-style.
A former chief official at the Indian Textiles Ministry has attacked government plans to prolong the life of loss-making state-owned textile mills.
Cotton prices in India have crashed because of higher production and falling export demand, which is benefiting the country's domestic textile industry.
Apparel and textile companies looking keep down costs in fibre and fabric sourcing and production, at the same time as ensuring supplies keep flowing, are turning to a number of different strategies.
Indian apparel exporters have demanded a series of favourable policy decisions from the new Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government while welcoming foreign buyers at the 53rd India International Garment Fair, held in New Delhi this week.
More than 600 dyeing and printing units in the small Indian town of Pali, in Rajasthan state, face closure over water pollution concerns.
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- Cambodia’s focus on garment production also a risk
- C&A helps grow organic cotton production in China
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras