just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Raghavendra Verma
Indian apparel exporters have demanded a series of favourable policy decisions from the new Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government while welcoming foreign buyers at the 53rd India International Garment Fair, held in New Delhi this week.
More than 600 dyeing and printing units in the small Indian town of Pali, in Rajasthan state, face closure over water pollution concerns.
A 15% year-on-year growth in the value of exports of Indian apparel in the financial year ending March 2014 has been helped by diversification into new markets and stricter compliance standards by Indian factories, just-style has been told.
A call by India's textiles minister for a higher rebate on duties paid on garment exports to the European Union (EU) will probably be refused by the country's finance ministry, industry representatives have told just-style.
The temporary restoration of the Incremental Exports Incentivisation Scheme (IEIS) for Indian cotton yarn exporters will make local spinning more viable in 2014, an industry spokesman has said.
India's sales of yarn to China have increased by 75% in last two months, as China becomes uncompetitive in yarn production due to currency appreciation and higher labour costs.
While the Indian cotton textile industry has increased its global competitiveness over the last decade, its exports have not shown similar results a new study shows.
The Indian apparel industry has made progress with backward integration over the last five years, but needs to reorganise to play to its strengths, a conference was told last week. And if India does invest, it could rival China as clothing exporter.
The combined apparel market of China and India will grow to US$740bn by 2025 - surpassing the projected combined US and European market of US$725bn at that time - according to a report released at an international clothing conference on Friday (19 July).
The chief minister of Uttar Pradesh state in India, Akhilesh Yadav, has told just-style that his government wants to spur future expansion in clothing and textiles through major infrastructure investments.
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Accord still struggling to engage industry bodies
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change