just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Raghavendra Verma
A call by India's textiles minister for a higher rebate on duties paid on garment exports to the European Union (EU) will probably be refused by the country's finance ministry, industry representatives have told just-style.
The temporary restoration of the Incremental Exports Incentivisation Scheme (IEIS) for Indian cotton yarn exporters will make local spinning more viable in 2014, an industry spokesman has said.
India's sales of yarn to China have increased by 75% in last two months, as China becomes uncompetitive in yarn production due to currency appreciation and higher labour costs.
While the Indian cotton textile industry has increased its global competitiveness over the last decade, its exports have not shown similar results a new study shows.
The Indian apparel industry has made progress with backward integration over the last five years, but needs to reorganise to play to its strengths, a conference was told last week. And if India does invest, it could rival China as clothing exporter.
The combined apparel market of China and India will grow to US$740bn by 2025 - surpassing the projected combined US and European market of US$725bn at that time - according to a report released at an international clothing conference on Friday (19 July).
The chief minister of Uttar Pradesh state in India, Akhilesh Yadav, has told just-style that his government wants to spur future expansion in clothing and textiles through major infrastructure investments.
Indian garment exporters have expressed relief after receiving the details of India's annual central government budget for 2013, after a feared increase in indirect taxes was not proposed.
The power outages and industrial unrest that have already caused chronic shutdowns among Indian textile mills are escalating, the industry's main trade association has warned.
Indian garment exporters are looking to buyers in new countries to compensate for falling orders from struggling, traditional western markets, the chairman of the Apparel Export Promotion Council (AEPC) has told just-style.
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Mexico's shoe makers blame their woes on China
- SuperGroup realigns supply chain to support growth
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- City sees "no quick fix" for Debenhams
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects