just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Raghavendra Verma
Branded garments in India are set to become more expensive following a decision by the central government to impose a 2% excise duty on clothing and textile retail items costing more than INR1,000 (US$14.74).
Special trade access to developed countries is always a boon to emerging market suppliers, and the European Union's (EU) GSP+ system is especially sought after and – according to a recent European Commission report – widely utilised.
Environmental authorities in the Indian state of Rajasthan are in the final stages of closing 893 fabric dyeing units in Sanganer, near the state capital Jaipur.
The newly announced textile joint venture between India's Reliance Industries and China's Shandong Ruyi Science & Technology Group could inspire many more such deals, shifting textile and clothing production bases from China to India, experts have told just-style.
A former chief official at the Indian Textiles Ministry has attacked government plans to prolong the life of loss-making state-owned textile mills.
Cotton prices in India have crashed because of higher production and falling export demand, which is benefiting the country's domestic textile industry.
Apparel and textile companies looking keep down costs in fibre and fabric sourcing and production, at the same time as ensuring supplies keep flowing, are turning to a number of different strategies.
Indian apparel exporters have demanded a series of favourable policy decisions from the new Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government while welcoming foreign buyers at the 53rd India International Garment Fair, held in New Delhi this week.
More than 600 dyeing and printing units in the small Indian town of Pali, in Rajasthan state, face closure over water pollution concerns.
A 15% year-on-year growth in the value of exports of Indian apparel in the financial year ending March 2014 has been helped by diversification into new markets and stricter compliance standards by Indian factories, just-style has been told.
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)