just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Siddique Islam
Bangladesh's woven garment exports fell by 4.14% in July amid a slowdown in shipments of apparel to markets such as the US following ongoing factory safety issues.
Production remains suspended at the Tuba Group's five factories, where around 1,600 workers earlier this month embarked on a ten-day hunger strike to demand three months' worth of unpaid wages and benefits.
Around 1,600 Bangladeshi garment workers on hunger strike for the past ten days have called for a nationwide strike at clothing factories across the country from Saturday (9 August) if outstanding salaries and bonuses are not paid.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 14% in the just-finished fiscal year as political stability returns to the South Asian country.
Bangladesh's government has approved a draft labour law that will allow workers in export processing zones (EPZs) to form unions - a week after both the EU and US criticised the country's progress on improving worker rights.
The group of 27 North American retailers and brands working to improve safety in Bangladesh has started inspections on more than 400 garment factories used by its members.
The European Union's representative in Bangladesh has expressed dissatisfaction at the country's progress towards improving worker and building safety in the apparel industry.
Among the ongoing challenges facing Bangladesh garment factories when it comes to improving fire and building safety are untrained management, supervisors and workers, and a poor attitude to safety, a new survey has shown.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, climbing nearly 18% in the first seven months of the current fiscal year according to the latest figures.
Bangladesh has not yet made sufficient progress in improving labour standards to justify a reinstatement of the Generalised System of Preference (GSP) benefits, US senior officials have said.
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Apparel industry not immune from Russia tensions
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Cotton prices set to slip on China policy change
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey