just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Siddique Islam
The European Union's representative in Bangladesh has suggested the country should start planning now if it wants to retain its preferential access to the EU market as its economic performance continues to improve.
The Bangladesh government says it is moving ahead with the recruitment of an additional 200 factory inspectors as a key European meeting took place today (20 October) to review the country's progress in improving labour rights, working conditions and factory safety.
Indian fabric makers are seeking to boost their exports to Bangladesh according to exhibitors at a two-day Indian man-made textiles exhibition in Dhaka this week.
The Bangladesh government is trying to complete the recruitment of an additional 200 factory inspectors ahead of a key meeting next month, but is still less than half way towards its target.
The Bangladesh government has asked all garment factory owners to ensure wages and bonuses are paid ahead of the upcoming religious festivals.
Bangladesh's apparel exports edged up by 1.7% in the first two months of the current fiscal year as buyers continue to remain cautious following last year's factory safety issues and subsequent strikes and disruption as a pay rise was negotiated for apparel workers.
The boss of the Tuba Group is seeking a BDT300m (US$3.88m) government loan to reopen his five apparel factories, which were forced to suspend production earlier this month after workers went on strike.
Bangladesh's woven garment exports fell by 4.14% in July amid a slowdown in shipments of apparel to markets such as the US following ongoing factory safety issues.
Production remains suspended at the Tuba Group's five factories, where around 1,600 workers earlier this month embarked on a ten-day hunger strike to demand three months' worth of unpaid wages and benefits.
Around 1,600 Bangladeshi garment workers on hunger strike for the past ten days have called for a nationwide strike at clothing factories across the country from Saturday (9 August) if outstanding salaries and bonuses are not paid.
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead