just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Siddique Islam
The Bangladesh government says it is moving ahead with the recruitment of an additional 200 factory inspectors as a key European meeting took place today (20 October) to review the country's progress in improving labour rights, working conditions and factory safety.
Indian fabric makers are seeking to boost their exports to Bangladesh according to exhibitors at a two-day Indian man-made textiles exhibition in Dhaka this week.
The Bangladesh government is trying to complete the recruitment of an additional 200 factory inspectors ahead of a key meeting next month, but is still less than half way towards its target.
The Bangladesh government has asked all garment factory owners to ensure wages and bonuses are paid ahead of the upcoming religious festivals.
Bangladesh's apparel exports edged up by 1.7% in the first two months of the current fiscal year as buyers continue to remain cautious following last year's factory safety issues and subsequent strikes and disruption as a pay rise was negotiated for apparel workers.
The boss of the Tuba Group is seeking a BDT300m (US$3.88m) government loan to reopen his five apparel factories, which were forced to suspend production earlier this month after workers went on strike.
Bangladesh's woven garment exports fell by 4.14% in July amid a slowdown in shipments of apparel to markets such as the US following ongoing factory safety issues.
Production remains suspended at the Tuba Group's five factories, where around 1,600 workers earlier this month embarked on a ten-day hunger strike to demand three months' worth of unpaid wages and benefits.
Around 1,600 Bangladeshi garment workers on hunger strike for the past ten days have called for a nationwide strike at clothing factories across the country from Saturday (9 August) if outstanding salaries and bonuses are not paid.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 14% in the just-finished fiscal year as political stability returns to the South Asian country.
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre