just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Siddique Islam
The boss of the Tuba Group is seeking a BDT300m (US$3.88m) government loan to reopen his five apparel factories, which were forced to suspend production earlier this month after workers went on strike.
Bangladesh's woven garment exports fell by 4.14% in July amid a slowdown in shipments of apparel to markets such as the US following ongoing factory safety issues.
Production remains suspended at the Tuba Group's five factories, where around 1,600 workers earlier this month embarked on a ten-day hunger strike to demand three months' worth of unpaid wages and benefits.
Around 1,600 Bangladeshi garment workers on hunger strike for the past ten days have called for a nationwide strike at clothing factories across the country from Saturday (9 August) if outstanding salaries and bonuses are not paid.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 14% in the just-finished fiscal year as political stability returns to the South Asian country.
Bangladesh's government has approved a draft labour law that will allow workers in export processing zones (EPZs) to form unions - a week after both the EU and US criticised the country's progress on improving worker rights.
The group of 27 North American retailers and brands working to improve safety in Bangladesh has started inspections on more than 400 garment factories used by its members.
The European Union's representative in Bangladesh has expressed dissatisfaction at the country's progress towards improving worker and building safety in the apparel industry.
Among the ongoing challenges facing Bangladesh garment factories when it comes to improving fire and building safety are untrained management, supervisors and workers, and a poor attitude to safety, a new survey has shown.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, climbing nearly 18% in the first seven months of the current fiscal year according to the latest figures.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- ANALYSIS: Back-to-school spending a waiting game
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report