just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Siddique Islam
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 14% in the just-finished fiscal year as political stability returns to the South Asian country.
Bangladesh's government has approved a draft labour law that will allow workers in export processing zones (EPZs) to form unions - a week after both the EU and US criticised the country's progress on improving worker rights.
The group of 27 North American retailers and brands working to improve safety in Bangladesh has started inspections on more than 400 garment factories used by its members.
The European Union's representative in Bangladesh has expressed dissatisfaction at the country's progress towards improving worker and building safety in the apparel industry.
Among the ongoing challenges facing Bangladesh garment factories when it comes to improving fire and building safety are untrained management, supervisors and workers, and a poor attitude to safety, a new survey has shown.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, climbing nearly 18% in the first seven months of the current fiscal year according to the latest figures.
Bangladesh has not yet made sufficient progress in improving labour standards to justify a reinstatement of the Generalised System of Preference (GSP) benefits, US senior officials have said.
Bangladesh's apparel trade body has signed a collaboration agreement with Impactt, a London-based leading ethical trading consultancy, to improve productivity in the ready-made garment industry.
Global freight forwarder and logistics services provider Damco is seeking help from the central bank of Bangladesh to resolve payment difficulties around its sea-air shipment business.
Bangladesh's ready-made garment exports are continuing to soar, rising by nearly 20% in the first-half of the current fiscal year despite ongoing political uncertainty, labour unrest and factory safety issues.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change