just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Wang Fangqing
As more Chinese fashion companies are shifting their focus from export markets to domestic consumers, many are investing in powerful, sophisticated management software to meet the fast changing apparel market.
As labour costs in China continue to rise, the country's apparel and textile industry is seeing some orders transferred to other outsourcing locations as foreign buyers seek lower-cost manufacturers.
The Chinese Government is to invest CNY10bn (US$1.6bn) to boost the textile industry in the country's largest cotton producing region - the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, in western China.
China's first anti-water pollution standard targeting the leather and fur processing industry came into force this weekend (1 March) and could push many small manufacturers out of business.
Shoemakers in China's Wenling city, Zhejiang province, south of Shanghai, now have to pay a minimum of CNY1m (US$162,784.15) to be registered and licensed with the local government to start business.
Chinese textile and clothing industry exports are expected to grow by at least by 8% year-on-year in 2014 thanks to the recovering US and European Union (EU) markets. But challenges remain for Chinese manufacturers.
A director at the China Cotton Association has welcomed the planned replacement of China's national cotton reserve programme with a system of subsidies.
Functional knit fabrics bucked the trend in 2013 as Taiwan's exports of textile and apparel products declined 1% by value to end at US$11.7bn.
China's Ningxia Zhongyin Cashmere, a Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region-based cashmere and clothing manufacturer, has signed Belgium's linen firm NV Jis Vanneste (Vanneste) to be the linen supplier of its new production base, under construction in Lingwu city of Ningxia, north-west China.
Despite compliance issues, Bangladesh remains number one alternative Bangladesh's advantages in low cost and convenience will help to ensure the continued growth of its clothing sector keeps growing, Dr Achim Berg, a partner at consultancy firm McKinsey & Company, has reiterated.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- ANALYSIS: Back-to-school spending a waiting game
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report