just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Wang Fangqing
Exports of textiles from North Korea to China are expected to quadruple to US$800m by the end of 2014, giving Chinese clothing firms a welcome supply of cheap fabric.
As more Chinese fashion companies are shifting their focus from export markets to domestic consumers, many are investing in powerful, sophisticated management software to meet the fast changing apparel market.
As labour costs in China continue to rise, the country's apparel and textile industry is seeing some orders transferred to other outsourcing locations as foreign buyers seek lower-cost manufacturers.
The Chinese Government is to invest CNY10bn (US$1.6bn) to boost the textile industry in the country's largest cotton producing region - the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, in western China.
China's first anti-water pollution standard targeting the leather and fur processing industry came into force this weekend (1 March) and could push many small manufacturers out of business.
Shoemakers in China's Wenling city, Zhejiang province, south of Shanghai, now have to pay a minimum of CNY1m (US$162,784.15) to be registered and licensed with the local government to start business.
Chinese textile and clothing industry exports are expected to grow by at least by 8% year-on-year in 2014 thanks to the recovering US and European Union (EU) markets. But challenges remain for Chinese manufacturers.
A director at the China Cotton Association has welcomed the planned replacement of China's national cotton reserve programme with a system of subsidies.
Functional knit fabrics bucked the trend in 2013 as Taiwan's exports of textile and apparel products declined 1% by value to end at US$11.7bn.
China's Ningxia Zhongyin Cashmere, a Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region-based cashmere and clothing manufacturer, has signed Belgium's linen firm NV Jis Vanneste (Vanneste) to be the linen supplier of its new production base, under construction in Lingwu city of Ningxia, north-west China.
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Outlook 2015: What keeps you awake at night?
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Adidas and Timberland commit to responsible down
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024