just-style authors and correspondents
Articles by Wang Fangqing
The Chinese Government is to invest CNY10bn (US$1.6bn) to boost the textile industry in the country's largest cotton producing region - the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, in western China.
China's first anti-water pollution standard targeting the leather and fur processing industry came into force this weekend (1 March) and could push many small manufacturers out of business.
Shoemakers in China's Wenling city, Zhejiang province, south of Shanghai, now have to pay a minimum of CNY1m (US$162,784.15) to be registered and licensed with the local government to start business.
Chinese textile and clothing industry exports are expected to grow by at least by 8% year-on-year in 2014 thanks to the recovering US and European Union (EU) markets. But challenges remain for Chinese manufacturers.
A director at the China Cotton Association has welcomed the planned replacement of China's national cotton reserve programme with a system of subsidies.
Functional knit fabrics bucked the trend in 2013 as Taiwan's exports of textile and apparel products declined 1% by value to end at US$11.7bn.
China's Ningxia Zhongyin Cashmere, a Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region-based cashmere and clothing manufacturer, has signed Belgium's linen firm NV Jis Vanneste (Vanneste) to be the linen supplier of its new production base, under construction in Lingwu city of Ningxia, north-west China.
Despite compliance issues, Bangladesh remains number one alternative Bangladesh's advantages in low cost and convenience will help to ensure the continued growth of its clothing sector keeps growing, Dr Achim Berg, a partner at consultancy firm McKinsey & Company, has reiterated.
International clothing and textile experts gathered near Shanghai last week to discuss solutions to China's twin challenges - dealing with less foreign demand, while managing rising production costs.
The Chinese textile industry has long been blamed for over-consuming resources and water pollution. And with consumers increasingly keen to take production processes into account when making purchases, brands are keen to improve their image and that of their suppliers.
- Garment firms set sights on Vietnam amid TPP talks
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- Tesco takes second stab at US market with F&F
- Wage strike by Cambodia garment workers falls flat
- H&M still committed to higher wages and Bangladesh
- Alliance inspections more than 50% complete
- Gap to grow China sales to $1bn in three years
- Vietnam Q1 textile and garment exports surge 21.9%
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy