In the money
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
Teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co is aiming to remove the logos from its garments on sale in North America by next spring as it focuses instead on more on-trend merchandise.
After booking a "stellar" first-quarter performance, UK value fashion retailer New Look has put the brakes on its expansion into Russia, citing concerns over the worsening political situation in the country.
German sporting giant Adidas says it remains "fully committed" to the Russian market, despite plans to close stores and significantly pare back the opening of any new ones in the country this year and next.
Hennes & Mauritz says there is a growing understanding and demand from its customers for sustainable and ethically sourced clothing - areas the Swedish fashion retailer says it will continue to pursue.
Weather issues and a volatile macro environment are unlikely to derail PVH Corp, analysts believe, despite the apparel giant revealing earnings yesterday (5 June) that missed expectations. The company also offered an optimistic outlook for the rest of the year.
US department store retailer Kohl's has outlined a new strategic initiative designed to generate sales growth, after booking a drop in earnings and revenue in the first quarter. The plan, dubbed "Greatness Agenda", focuses on giving customers what they want, when they want it - and however they want it.
Ongoing plans for investment in additional manufacturing capacity have seen apparel maker Gildan Activewear home in on Guanacaste in Costa Rica as the site of its next large-scale textile facility in Central America.
On more than one occasion, while discussing Coach’s third quarter results, CEO Victor Luis alluded to the “journey” that the company was embarked upon.
Shares in Nike Inc fell 3.7% yesterday (20 March), after the sporting goods giant forecast slower-than-expected earnings growth in its first-quarter and next fiscal due to weaker currencies in key emerging markets.
Fifth & Pacific Companies, which today (26 February) begins trading as Kate Spade & Co, says it has a number of operational initiatives in place that it hopes will accelerate margin expansion and top line growth in 2014.
Despite delivering a disappointing fourth-quarter and full-year performance, German sporting goods firm Puma believes it has laid down the foundations that will return the company to its sportswear focus, with a new brand campaign dubbed 'Forever Faster' designed to put it back on track.
Footwear and apparel business Wolverine Worldwide remains bullish about the strength of its Sperry Top-Sider brand despite cold weather in the US having tempered its growth in the fourth quarter.
New Look CEO Anders Kristiansen says the UK fashion chain has no plans to launch an initial public offering in the next year, and is instead concentrating on its overseas expansion efforts.
Nearly four months in, and it’s fair to say that Hanesbrands chairman and CEO Rich Noll has no regrets over the company’s US$581m acquisition of Maidenform in October last year.
US footwear, handbags and accessories retailer Coach Inc is confident it can improve productivity in North America by investing in its online business and reviewing its store portfolio. But this could take time, warned Francine Della Badia, president of the company's North American retail business.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details