In the money
A regular in-depth analysis prompted by what’s happening in the financial world and how it impacts on the apparel and footwear supply chain from manufacturing to retail.
US retail giant Gap Inc has said it remains bullish on its long-term growth prospects in China despite the yuan deflation, while also revealing it is on track with its strategic restructuring.
US department store retailer JC Penney has said it will continue to focus on enhancing the efficiency of its supply chain as one of a number of levers to help drive gross margin improvement.
US apparel giant VF Corp has confirmed its interest in Africa as a sourcing destination as it continues to create a "balanced portfolio" of countries where it can manufacture its products.
Sporting giant Nike has reaffirmed its commitment to scaling up its advanced domestic manufacturing operations following the clearance of a number of key pieces of US trade legislation last week.
H&M Hennes & Mauritz will likely suffer gross margin pressure in the near-term, analysts believe, as the negative impact from the strong US dollar is compounded by increased purchasing costs and increasing wages.
PVH Corp said the industry should start seeing more dramatic improvements in its women's jeans business thanks to initiatives to grow the division, and despite operating in a denim industry it says is “not a hot category" at the present time.
Teen apparel retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co says it is seeing progress in ongoing efforts to make quicker decisions and speed up its supply chain - even though net losses widened in the first-quarter.
Superdry brand owner SuperGroup has revealed plans to adapt its buying model to source more directly and flexibly, with the aim of improving efficiency and speed to market.
Sporting goods giant Nike Inc says it will continue to put substantial money and resources into its supply chain to increase speed to market, and ensure it stays ahead on innovation.
US women's wear retailer Ann Inc sees the supply chain as a key lever for enhancing its profitability, and has identified $50m in ongoing annualised gross margin benefits over the next two years.
If 2014 began as a year full of promise for German sports group Adidas – thanks to its strong presence at the World Cup in Brazil – it closed with an air of slight disappointment, thanks to reversals in golf, Russia and the currency exchanges. But it now has its sights set on North America.
US department store retailer JC Penney has said one of its biggest opportunities for incremental growth in the near term is in omni-channel, as it looks to deliver continued improvements in the business.
Denim giant Levi Strauss & Co has said the “volatile” and “unpredictable” delays occurring on the West Coast ports could adversely affect its supply chain and product availability if it continues.
H&M Hennes & Mauritz has acknowledged that pricing may have to fluctuate to reflect challenges created by the increasingly strong US dollar, which is affecting sourcing costs for the Swedish apparel group.
Canadian yoga wear brand Lululemon Athletica says it has turned an important corner and will be relentless about accelerating forward, after revealing third-quarter earnings that beat expectations.
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Alliance brands "staying the course" in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- Bangladesh denied US GSP re-entry on worker rights
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis