A month-by-month overview of US apparel and shoe chains' sales results. Same-store sales figures help gauge how a specific retailer has performed, making this feature invaluable for evaluating your customers or competitors.
Against an improving economic backdrop and a highly promotional retail environment, back-to-school shopping helped to push comparable store sales up for most US apparel chains in August.
Aggressive promotions by US apparel retailers in August provided consumers with incentives to shop - leading to better-than-expected comparable store sales growth for the month. The focus is now turning to the upcoming back-to-school shopping season.
An improving employment picture, favourable weather for purchases of summer clothing, and heavy promotions fuelled better-than-expected sales for US apparel retailers in June - but analysts have warned that headwinds remain.
Improved weather coupled with a slew of promotions helped to drive traffic and sales gains for US apparel retailers in May - with analysts expecting the upward trend to continue into June.
Warmer weather combined with a late Easter, aggressive promotions, and improving employment prospects helped unleash pent-up demand in April - driving strong comparable store sales growth for US apparel retailers.
US apparel retailers recorded mixed comparable store sales in March, but overall managed to beat very modest expectations resulting from the Easter holiday shift and continued cool weather.
US apparel retailers reported mixed comparable store sales in February, with some severely impacted by adverse weather conditions but others benefiting from a pick-up in traffic in the latter part of the month.
Winter storms played havoc with US apparel retailers in January, forcing many shoppers to stay at home. But while some consumers were physically unable to spend, others simply lost the will, with holiday shopping fatigue, static wages, and a lack of inspiring new ranges all hitting comparable store sales.
December proved to be a challenging month for US apparel retailers, with the most promotional retailing environment in five years, a shortened holiday season, sluggish consumer spending, and adverse weather conditions all taking their toll on comparable store sales.
Steep discounts, flexible store opening times, price matching and free shipping were not enough to win US shoppers over in November, after apparel retailers delivered disappointing comparable store sales during the month.
Despite low expectations, US apparel retailers managed to overcome a number of hurdles in October - including the government shutdown and soft economic growth - to post same-store sales gains for the month.
Lacklustre back-to-school sales, warmer than average temperatures, waning consumer confidence, worries over a government shutdown, and stagnant wage growth all combined to give another mixed sales bag for US apparel retailers in September.
The back-to-school selling period got off to a slow start in August, as US apparel retailers moved to drive traffic with aggressive promotional activity, with all but one retailer posting sales gains.
The majority of US apparel retailers posted same-store sale gains last month - albeit below analyst expectations - despite higher fuel prices, summer doldrums, pay roll tax increases, and a lack of wage gains ahead of the back-to-school season.
Same-store sales at US apparel retailers continued on an upward trajectory last month. June results saw the biggest gains since January, on the back of an improving labour market, better macroeconomic conditions, falling fuel prices, warmer weather and rising house prices.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details