ANALYSIS: Toning shapes up athletic footwear sector
The Reebok EasyTone model
The emergence of toning footwear will continue to be a driver of growth in the US athletic footwear sector, latest reseach suggests.
According to the Buckingham Research Group, toning shoes like Skechers' Shape Ups and Reebok's EasyTone line are flying off the shelves.
"The toning category is by far the best selling segment in athletic and perhaps the area in all of footwear with the most buzz," the equity research group says.
"Reebok's EasyTone product is selling out as soon as retailers are opening the boxes, according to store managers with whom we discussed the trend."
Research firm The NPD Group reported earlier this month that sales of toning shoes into retailers jumped to $145m in 2009.
Latest findings by Buckingham, from the WSA shoe show in Las Vegas and FFANY show in New York, suggest an consequent influx of brands into the category, including Avia, Brown Shoe Company and possibly New Balance.
"We see this category as a material driver throughout 2010, at a minimum," the researcher adds.
Buckingham also reports strong sell-throughs of boots, but warns that few retailers have the inventory to sipport robust sales growth of this category of the footwear market.
However, it adds that overall footwear inventories are in "good shape" and that this, twinned with rational promotional spend, was enabling decent margin performance.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Apparel maker Tefron has halved its second quarter loss, despite declining sales....
Footwear company Skechers USA has dismissed two recently filed class action suits against its Shape-up products, describing them as "baseless"....
Strong top-line growth has propelled Skechers back into profit in its second quarter....
The Via Spiga shoe brand is teaming up with jewellery designer Kenneth Jay Lane to create a limited edition couture shoe collection to celebrate its 25th anniversary....
Israeli intimate apparel firm Tefron has named Rebecca Zuber as its chief marketing officer for North America....
The Indian government has opened up the debate on foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail by seeking comments on the issue from a range of stakeholders including overseas retailers and i...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts