After garments made for KiK were found at each of the factories involved in the apparel industry’s biggest tragedies, the low-cost German clothing chain is on a mission to raise the bar on working conditions within its supply chain. Recent developments include legally binding audits at supplier factories, and the extension of building safety assessments to Pakistan, as Ansgar Lohmann, head of KiK’s Corporate Social Responsibility department, explains.
German discount retailer KiK is extending efforts to improve the safety of garment workers in Pakistan by rolling out the first building, electrical and fire prevention assessments at its supplier factories in the country.
German retailer KiK says it has completed its commitment to pay compensation to the survivors and families of workers killed in the Ali Enterprises garment factory fire, Pakistan's worst industrial accident.
After four years of campaigning and months of negotiations, an agreement has finally been reached to pay compensation of more than US$5m to the survivors and families of workers killed in a fire at the Ali Enterprises garment factory, Pakistan’s worst industrial accident.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is to step in to try to speed up the process of delivering compensation for the victims of a deadly clothing factory fire in Pakistan four years ago.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts