As consumers tightened their belts during the recession, Fairtrade clothing saw its sales slump. But now that shoppers are again starting to seek out ethical options, is it time to revisit the debate on whether Fairtrade really is fair?
UK sales of items made from Fairtrade cotton rose to 9.5m units in 2007 from just 0.5m in 2006. Ben Cooper looks at the factors behind this growth, and assesses the potential for further expansion of the Fairtrade cotton market in the UK and other countries.
People Tree, the sustainable and Fair Trade fashion brand, has teamed up with actress Emma Watson to create a capsule lifestyle collection aimed at a younger audience.
Fashion designer Jeff Banks, Burberry creative director Christopher Bailey and online shopping visionary Natalie Massenet are among the fashion names listed in this year’s Queen's Birthday Honours list.
New plans by the British government to make clothing more sustainable and less environmentally damaging has been criticised by one of the leading pioneers of fair-trade fashion for being superficial and lacking focus.
Former Topshop brand director Jane Shepherdson has today (28 January) struck a deal with Baugur to purchase fashion brand Whistles from its Mosaic Fashions subsidiary with immediate effect.
Jane Shepherdson, the former brand director of Topshop, is in talks with Icelandic investor Baugur to head its Whistles women’s wear chain according to UK media reports today (7 December).
The Sri Lankan apparel industry is shoring up the design skills of its garment suppliers as part of its bid to become one of the most innovative countries in the textile and apparel field over the next five years.
High-street retail giant Marks & Spencer (M&S) has announced a business-wide ‘eco-plan’ which it says will influence every part of its operations during the coming five years - including the use of recycled plastic bottles to make its polyester clothing and increasing the number of Fairtrade cotton garments on sale.
High street fashion chain Topshop is expanding its partnership with ecological clothing firm People Tree by launching a capsule collection that will be available in stores across the UK.
Fair-trade fashion pioneer People Tree said it is the first label in the UK to carry both Soil Association and Fairtrade cotton certification on its clothing.
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- just-style Sourcing Survey – share your thoughts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack