Having delivered apparel and footwear industry news for the past decade, just-style takes a reflective look through its archives to highlight ten key themes that have helped shape the apparel industry over the last 10 years.
A string of Chapter 11 filings by clothing and footwear retailers in recent months shows that fashion is feeling the pinch of an economic slowdown in the US. However, this week's news that fashion chain Steve & Barry's is being bought by an investment firm for US$168m will do much to buoy the sector. Joe Ayling reports.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion Inc, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July, is to shutter its entire chain of 64 stores.
California-based department store chain Mervyns, which last month filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, has been granted final approval for its $465m debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing facility by the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
US department store chain Boscov’s has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and says it is to close ten underperforming stores as it tries to reorganise its business.
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion Inc has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection according to a notice posted with the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday (15 July).
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion has received a written notice from The Nasdaq Stock Market saying the bid price of its common stock has closed below the Nasdaq minimum bid price listing requirement of $1.00 per share for 30 consecutive business days.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion Inc today (26 November) widened its third quarter net loss as it sold off stock to make way for the addition of a range of new branded consignment merchandise to its stores.
Independent off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion said that Michael McHugh has been appointed as its new executive VP and chief financial officer.
Shoe Pavilion has turned in a weaker-than-expected performance in its second quarter, despite a 19.5% rise in net sales over the same period a year before.
Shoe Pavilion said it expects a net loss for the second quarter of approximately $1.0m to $1.2m, negatively impacted by lower than expected sales at the company's newest stores opened in the last 12 months.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion Inc swung to a first quarter net loss blaming slow consumer traffic and ongoing construction in many of the shopping centres where its newest stores are located.
Shoe Pavilion has posted a net sales increase of 38.6%, or $11.3m, to $40.8m for the fourth quarter ended 31 December 2005.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion said fourth-quarter same-store sales went up 8.6%, contributing to a full-year comparable sales rise of 3.9%.
Off-price shoe chain Shoe Pavilion reported a net loss in the third quarter of the year, on soft same-store and new store sales.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion missed third-quarter expectations as same-store sales and net sales failed to meet forecasts.
Shoe Pavilion has announced that net sales increased 26% to US$31.4m in the second quarter from $24.9m in the prior year period. Same-store sales increased 3.9%.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion has appointed Bruce Ross as its executive VP and CFO.
Off-price chain Shoe Pavilion said it is "pleased" with second-quarter results and added that its store openings remain on schedule.
Off-price footwear retailer Shoe Pavilion said its net income plunged after it met US$500,000 worth of store opening expenses.
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis