Apparel software trends – The outlook for 2016
just-style’s annual management briefing canvasses the views of software experts on the challenges facing the global apparel supply chain in the year ahead – and the ways technology can help tackle some of these issues. We also ask where firms should be focusing their investments now if they want to remain competitive into the future, and take a look at what else is likely to be topping the apparel industry's technology agenda.
What are the biggest challenges facing the global apparel supply chain in 2016? Perfecting omnichannel retailing continues to be a major issue, as does the need to be faster, flexible and more efficient. There’s also an increasing need for full visibility into where, how and by whom products are produced.
What else is likely to be topping the apparel industry's technology agenda this year? Robotics and digital capabilities, 3D simulation and visualisation, cloud and mobility, and a shift in power to business intelligence and analytics, are all seen as coming to the fore.
Where should apparel firms be focusing their software investments now if they want to remain competitive into the future? Recurring themes include tools for greater visibility and control across outbound and inbound supply chains, and technology that supports fast access to accurate, up-to-date information, allowing improved decision-making across multiple channels.
Software can help tackle some of the challenges facing apparel supply chains by providing full end-to-end visibility across all channels, using data to drive better decision-making, and boosting collaboration with suppliers.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US Q4 in brief – Chico's FAS, TJX Companies
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar