Channelling the Olympic spirit
The Olympics are big business for many in the apparel industry, from sportswear brands through to licensed manufacturers. With the Olympics starting in under a fortnight, just-style looks at the event's impact on the apparel industry.
As the London 2012 Olympics approaches, sportswear firms are battling to take centre stage, launching new innovations that are set to boost athletes' performance and drive maximum commercial value out of the event.
A colleague expressed horror earlier this week on realising that the only entry to the Olympic stadiums in London will be through a purpose-built Westfield Mall. She was surprised at the rampant commercialism of the games.
As the 2012 London Olympics approaches, sportswear firms are looking to align their brands with athletes' success by launching new technical innovations. Here are five of the best unveiled in the lead-up to the Games.
UK retailers are hoping the London 2012 Olympics will contribute to a multi-million pound boost in sales. But will sportswear retailers be the only beneficiaries, or could value retailers expect to see some uplift too? Katie Smith reports.
Ralph Lauren Corp has pledged that uniforms worn by American athletes at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games will be made in the US, following a row over this year's outfits being manufactured in China.
US lawmakers have hit back at reports that Olympic uniforms for American athletes were allegedly manufactured in China.
Workers making sportswear for the forthcoming London Olympics are being poorly paid and treated, according to a new report from the Playfair 2012 campaign.
The organisers of the London 2012 Olympics are introducing new measures designed to protect workers producing merchandise for this year's games after evidence of exploitation was uncovered.
With exactly one year to go before the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games, activists are stepping up calls for merchandise used at the event to be sourced from ethical suppliers.
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy