Channelling the Olympic spirit
The Olympics are big business for many in the apparel industry, from sportswear brands through to licensed manufacturers. With the Olympics starting in under a fortnight, just-style looks at the event's impact on the apparel industry.
As the London 2012 Olympics approaches, sportswear firms are battling to take centre stage, launching new innovations that are set to boost athletes' performance and drive maximum commercial value out of the event.
A colleague expressed horror earlier this week on realising that the only entry to the Olympic stadiums in London will be through a purpose-built Westfield Mall. She was surprised at the rampant commercialism of the games.
As the 2012 London Olympics approaches, sportswear firms are looking to align their brands with athletes' success by launching new technical innovations. Here are five of the best unveiled in the lead-up to the Games.
UK retailers are hoping the London 2012 Olympics will contribute to a multi-million pound boost in sales. But will sportswear retailers be the only beneficiaries, or could value retailers expect to see some uplift too? Katie Smith reports.
Ralph Lauren Corp has pledged that uniforms worn by American athletes at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games will be made in the US, following a row over this year's outfits being manufactured in China.
US lawmakers have hit back at reports that Olympic uniforms for American athletes were allegedly manufactured in China.
Workers making sportswear for the forthcoming London Olympics are being poorly paid and treated, according to a new report from the Playfair 2012 campaign.
The organisers of the London 2012 Olympics are introducing new measures designed to protect workers producing merchandise for this year's games after evidence of exploitation was uncovered.
With exactly one year to go before the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games, activists are stepping up calls for merchandise used at the event to be sourced from ethical suppliers.
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- No simple way to be sustainable, says SAC CEO
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Li & Fung eyes supply chain speed in 3-year plan
- Nike and Crystal Group "doing well by doing good"
- What does supply chain mapping really mean?
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras