Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
The apparent benefits of Ethiopia make the country a serious risk – both politically and commercially – for apparel and textile investors.
The apparent benefits of Ethiopia make the country a serious risk – both politically and commercially – for apparel and textile investors, Mike Flanagan believes. And the partial destruction by rioters of the Saygin Dima mill illustrates all too well the short-term superficiality of too many 'visionary' sourcing strategies.
The United States has joined governments in the UK, Australia, Canada to advise against all non-essential travel to Ethiopia due to ongoing unrest the country.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and high-performance leather manufacturer Pittards Plc both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency after months of unrest.
Trade fair organiser Messe Frankfurt is to include Africa in its textile event portfolio from 2017 following a partnership with Africa Sourcing & Fashion Week in Ethiopia.
Viewing the whole North and East Africa region together could present a new option for a complete sourcing solution for fashion brands and retailers, that is both closer to their bases and in similar time zones to Europe, according to a new report from just-style.
Africa’s first modern electrified railway line was today (5 October) inaugurated in Ethiopia, linking the country's capital, Addis Ababa, with the Red Sea port of Djibouti.
US apparel giant PVH Corp, owner of the Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger brands, is channelling $1m to Save the Children programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa – where the company is starting to build its apparel sourcing business.
From the new sourcing landscape, to increasing interest in ‘Made in USA’ apparel, and updates on sourcing destinations and sustainability, Dr Sheng Lu, assistant professor at the Department of Fashion and Apparel Studies at the University of Delaware, presents his first thoughts from last week’s Sourcing at MAGIC trade show.
Ethiopia’s flagship industrial park in Hawassa city, south of the capital Addis Ababa, opened last week, with facilities dedicated solely to the textile and apparel sector.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective