Is garment production coming home?
Suggestions that reshoring, or bringing back jobs lost to China, would benefit the Western apparel industry make no economic sense - but there is still a need for businesses in developed countries to provide a range of sewing services.
Suggestions that reshoring, or bringing back jobs lost to China, would benefit the Western apparel industry are dismissed as "flagwash" by Mike Flanagan. But while such a move would make no economic sense, he believes there is still a need for businesses in developed countries to provide a range of sewing services.
UK luxury brand Aquascutum has today (10 May) been sold to the owner of the brand's licence in Asia, YGM Trading.
UK heritage brand Barbour has launched a training academy at its manufacturing unit in South Shields where students can learn traditional production skills such as pattern cutting, sampling and tailoring.
A new tool that measures the value of goods traded between European Union (EU) and other major countries and the rest of the world by looking at the separate stages of production instead of gross value, has been unveiled by the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Administrators acting for UK luxury brand Aquascutum have revealed plans to close the company's Corby manufacturing site, in a move that will make 115 staff redundant.
Recent talk about high street brands and retailers shifting some of their manufacturing back to the UK requires long-term collaboration with local factories. Petah Marian looks at one such partnership.
UK high street retailers have been making a lot of noise of late about increasing their local sourcing. But with the domestic manufacturing sector now just a shadow of its former self, how realistic is such a move? Petah Marian reports.
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024