M&S bolsters design and merchandise teams amid "mixed" FY clothing sales
As Marks & Spencer CEO Marc Bolland revealed full-year clothing sales rose by just 0.2%, Kate Bostock, executive director of general merchandise said the retailer has moved to bolster its design and merchandise teams and ramp up the amount of clothing it sources on a fast-fashion basis.
After Marks & Spencer admitted to being caught short in women's wear during the fourth-quarter, it has moved to bolster its design and merchandise teams as well as ramping up the amount of clothing it sources on a fast-fashion basis. M&S executive director of general merchandise, Kate Bostock, spoke to journalists about its clothing strategy yesterday on the sidelines of the retailer's annual results.
Marks & Spencer, often seen as a barometer for wider trading conditions in the retail sector in the UK, today (22 May) reported mixed annual results. Sales and gross margin from food was higher but challenges remain elsewhere in the business - including women's wear. The retailer also cut the top end of its group sales forecasts.
Marks & Spencer CEO Marc Bolland moved to defend the retailer's clothing performance today (22 May) after full-year sales rose by just 0.2%.
Retailer Marks & Spencer today (22 May) unveiled its first fall in full-year profits in three years and said it was taking steps to improve its buying and merchandising after seeing a mixed performance in its clothing lines.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Bangladesh workers in constructive employer talks
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report