M&S bolsters design and merchandise teams amid "mixed" FY clothing sales
As Marks & Spencer CEO Marc Bolland revealed full-year clothing sales rose by just 0.2%, Kate Bostock, executive director of general merchandise said the retailer has moved to bolster its design and merchandise teams and ramp up the amount of clothing it sources on a fast-fashion basis.
After Marks & Spencer admitted to being caught short in women's wear during the fourth-quarter, it has moved to bolster its design and merchandise teams as well as ramping up the amount of clothing it sources on a fast-fashion basis. M&S executive director of general merchandise, Kate Bostock, spoke to journalists about its clothing strategy yesterday on the sidelines of the retailer's annual results.
Marks & Spencer, often seen as a barometer for wider trading conditions in the retail sector in the UK, today (22 May) reported mixed annual results. Sales and gross margin from food was higher but challenges remain elsewhere in the business - including women's wear. The retailer also cut the top end of its group sales forecasts.
Marks & Spencer CEO Marc Bolland moved to defend the retailer's clothing performance today (22 May) after full-year sales rose by just 0.2%.
Retailer Marks & Spencer today (22 May) unveiled its first fall in full-year profits in three years and said it was taking steps to improve its buying and merchandising after seeing a mixed performance in its clothing lines.
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Where next for e-textiles and smart garments?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Cambodia sets new minimum wage at US$140
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020