Primark challenges critics with India cotton initiative
With the aim of ensuring all cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, Primark is adamant having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices is not at odds with efforts to improve ethical standards in its supply chain.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices on the high street is not at odds with efforts to improve ethical standards in its supply chain. just-style's deputy editor Michelle Russell found out more during a trip to northern India where the company's sustainable cotton programme is taking shape.
Primark saw sales climb in its first-quarter thanks to increased selling space, but the value fashion giant warned of falling margins as a result of impending inflationary pressures.
Value fashion giant Primark says it has no plans to increase prices next year as the industry considers the potential impact of inflation, the falling value of sterling, and a "hard Brexit" on business and the consumer.
Value fashion chain Primark has extended its sustainable cotton programme for women in northern India for a further six years, with the aim of introducing sustainable farming methods to more females and increasing their incomes.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar