Reducing risk in the apparel supply chain
Preparation, preparation and more preparation are key if brands and retailers are to reduce risk in their supply chains. We take a look at how to mitigate those risks, including the need for detailed planning to help avoid disruptions, the hidden costs of emerging sourcing locations, and how software can help improve supply chain visibility.
Preparation, preparation and more preparation are key if brands and retailers are to reduce risks when shifting their sourcing to new countries and suppliers.
Forward planning; managing supply chain partners well and staying on top of potential regional issues such as changes in weather or currency values can help apparel and textile companies avoid key supply chain disruptions such as out-of-stock situations, eroded margins and missed market opportunities.
Uncertainty might sound like a rather nebulous concern for international clothing brands considering their sourcing, but it can be a very tough problem that undermines operational efficiency up and downstream.
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) and product lifecycle management (PLM) software have become fundamental tools in the quest for excellence in apparel supply chain visibility. And waiting in the wings is blockchain, the technology underpinning the Bitcoin digital currency by providing a register of transactions – whose potential is already being embraced by supply chain experts.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar