Speed pressures shift M&S supply base
The UK's largest clothing retailer, Marks & Spencer, is seeing its clothing supply base shift away from the Far East as it looks to increase speed to market after facing a series of replenishment issues earlier this year.
The UK's largest clothing retailer, Marks & Spencer is seeing its clothing supply base shift away from the Far East as it looks to increase speed to market after facing a series of replenishment issues earlier this year.
While Marks & Spencer posted an almost 10% decline in pre-tax profit over the first half of its financial year, an uplift in general merchandise sales in the second quarter suggests efforts to improve its clothing offer are beginning to bear fruit. Here is a flavour of what leading retail analysts say about M&S' recent performance.
Retailer Marks & Spencer has seen its first-half pre-tax profit fall by nearly 10% on declining general merchandise sales, which include clothing and footwear.
UK retailer Marks & Spencer (M&S) has promoted lingerie and beauty head Frances Russell as its new director of womenswear as it realigns responsibilities within its general merchandise management team under executive director John Dixon.
While much of the recent focus has been on the challenges faced by Marks & Spencer - from falling profits and poor clothing sales to a possible takeover bid - it's easy to forget the affection people have for the retailer. If the taxi drivers of Chester are anything to go by, we are a nation of armchair analysts who have ideas on how to improve the British retail stalwart - or at least tell it what it's gotten wrong of late.
Marks & Spencer, the UK's largest clothing retailer, is shaking up its senior management team after booking a 5.1% drop in first quarter general merchandise sales. Here Petah Marian looks at the challenges the new executives will face as they attempt to turn around its clothing division.
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Under Armour makes lifestyle push with new brand
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- LVMH to sell Donna Karan to G-III for US$650m
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020