Speed pressures shift M&S supply base
The UK's largest clothing retailer, Marks & Spencer, is seeing its clothing supply base shift away from the Far East as it looks to increase speed to market after facing a series of replenishment issues earlier this year.
The UK's largest clothing retailer, Marks & Spencer is seeing its clothing supply base shift away from the Far East as it looks to increase speed to market after facing a series of replenishment issues earlier this year.
While Marks & Spencer posted an almost 10% decline in pre-tax profit over the first half of its financial year, an uplift in general merchandise sales in the second quarter suggests efforts to improve its clothing offer are beginning to bear fruit. Here is a flavour of what leading retail analysts say about M&S' recent performance.
Retailer Marks & Spencer has seen its first-half pre-tax profit fall by nearly 10% on declining general merchandise sales, which include clothing and footwear.
UK retailer Marks & Spencer (M&S) has promoted lingerie and beauty head Frances Russell as its new director of womenswear as it realigns responsibilities within its general merchandise management team under executive director John Dixon.
While much of the recent focus has been on the challenges faced by Marks & Spencer - from falling profits and poor clothing sales to a possible takeover bid - it's easy to forget the affection people have for the retailer. If the taxi drivers of Chester are anything to go by, we are a nation of armchair analysts who have ideas on how to improve the British retail stalwart - or at least tell it what it's gotten wrong of late.
Marks & Spencer, the UK's largest clothing retailer, is shaking up its senior management team after booking a 5.1% drop in first quarter general merchandise sales. Here Petah Marian looks at the challenges the new executives will face as they attempt to turn around its clothing division.
- Li & Fung: China consumption to bring major change
- INTERVIEW: Crystal CEO rises to the challenges
- Innovation and e-commerce key to Nike's growth
- Pacific Crystal Textiles gears up for production
- Opinion divided on China cotton import cuts
- Addressing anaemia key to Cambodia productivity
- Chinese firm to invest in Ethiopian textile plant
- Textile value chain making Africa more competitive
- Activists slam dismissals at Sri Lanka shoe firm
- Columbia Sportswear hires global manufacturing VP