Transforming Burma into a competitive sourcing hub
Burma, the poorest country in South East Asia, is seen as having untapped garment production and sourcing opportunities thanks to its low labour costs, large workforce and beneficial access to rich consumer markets. But it also faces considerable challenges if it is to become competitive.
Burma, the poorest country in South East Asia, is seen as having untapped garment production and sourcing opportunities thanks to its low labour costs, large workforce and beneficial access to rich consumer markets. But it also faces considerable challenges if it is to become competitive. Jozef De Coster reports.
Burma's garment industry has huge potential to contribute to national economic growth, both as a foreign exchange earner and a massive job provider. However, in order to achieve its full potential, the sector needs to overcome a range of obstacles, outlined here by Jozef De Coster.
The first ever International Textile & Garment Industry Exhibition, which took place in Burma (Myanmar) this week, mirrored the sense of optimism gripping the country's clothing sector.
The trade group representing the foreign trade interests of European retailers, importers and brand companies is urging the European Parliament to open European markets to Burmese products "without delay".
The US has lifted a decade-long ban on most imports from Burma (also known as Myanmar), in a move that is likely to boost the country's garment industry.
The US ban on imports from Burma is preventing job growth in the garment industry, rather than harming the interests of the corrupt elite it targets, according to a report by the International Crisis Group.
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey