US garment imports settle on strategic suppliers
The world's economic problems are still very much with us, but it now appears - from the latest US figures - that garment customers may have settled down to a new but stable order of strategic suppliers.
The world's economic problems are still very much with us, but it now appears - looking at the latest US figures - that garment customers may have settled down to a new but stable order of strategic suppliers. David Birnbaum looks at the data.
Emerging Asian countries hold the key to the future of the global apparel sourcing industry, according to a new research report from just-style.
Syria, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan may become increasingly important apparel sourcing countries in coming years once ongoing issues around political and human rights have been resolved.
While China's position as the world's leading clothing manufacturing country remains unassailable, the increasing cost of doing business there means the rapid growth of its apparel industry may be on the wane. New research highlights Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Madagascar, Tunisia and Morocco as attractive sourcing alternatives.
Textile and apparel imports into the US were up again in April, rising 2.9% to 4.35bn square metre equivalents (SME) on top of a 1.7% increase in March.
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Bangladesh calls for duty-free access to US
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022