Wal-Mart apparel turnaround efforts gain traction
Wal-Mart has revealed that efforts to turn around its apparel business are finally starting to gain traction, with the US retail giant reporting the first full-year of positive comparable apparel sales for seven years.
Wal-Mart has revealed that its efforts to turn around its apparel business is starting to gain traction after reporting its first full-year of positive comparable apparel sales in the US in seven years.
The UK-based George at Asda clothing brand remains committed to sourcing in Bangladesh, even though at least 112 workers were killed in a factory fire last year while illegally subcontracted to produce clothing for parent company Wal-Mart.
Wal-Mart has recorded an increase in fourth-quarter profit as sales grew and the company benefited from a lower than expected tax rate.
Wal-Mart's UK-based George clothing brand is set to have a presence in 24 countries by the end of September, driven primarily through online expansion.
Updated sourcing guidelines released this week by Wal-Mart have received a tepid reception at best, with industry watchers warning they are sceptical as to whether the new rules will be fully enforced.
Retail giant Wal-Mart is to enforce a “zero tolerance” policy on unauthorised sub-contracting with suppliers, in a bid to improve safety standards following the Tazreen fire.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- US cotton production set to decline
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details