What's in store for US back-to-school sales?
Analysts are forecasting a mixed bag of back-to-school sales this year, with the stagnant economy expected to weigh on demand for apparel and footwear, but falling cotton prices, promotions and tax holidays likely to provide some respite. As usual there will be winners and losers, but which retailers are likely to fare best in their second biggest selling season of the year?
Analysts are forecasting a mixed bag of back-to-school sales this year, with the stagnant economy expected to weigh on demand for apparel and footwear, but falling cotton prices, promotions and tax holidays likely to provide some respite. As usual there will be winners and losers, but which retailers are likely to fare best in their second biggest selling season of the year? Katie Smith reports.
US retail sales in August were boosted by back-to-school shoppers, with most retailers booking sales gains over the month.
Many back-to-school shoppers in the US are leaving their purchases to the last minute as retailers compete to attract their custom, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation (NRF).
A soft start to the back-to-school season coupled with promotions in its core basics business have contributed to a disappointing second quarter for teen clothing retailer Aeropostale.
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-school spending plans.
Back-to-school spending in the US is set to rise this year as parents look to replace and replenish what their children might have had to "make do" with last season, according to the National Retail Federation.
Retailers can expect US shoppers to buy more and visit more stores during the crucial back-to-school shopping season during August, according to a report from ShopperTrak.
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022