What's in store for US back-to-school sales?
Analysts are forecasting a mixed bag of back-to-school sales this year, with the stagnant economy expected to weigh on demand for apparel and footwear, but falling cotton prices, promotions and tax holidays likely to provide some respite. As usual there will be winners and losers, but which retailers are likely to fare best in their second biggest selling season of the year?
Analysts are forecasting a mixed bag of back-to-school sales this year, with the stagnant economy expected to weigh on demand for apparel and footwear, but falling cotton prices, promotions and tax holidays likely to provide some respite. As usual there will be winners and losers, but which retailers are likely to fare best in their second biggest selling season of the year? Katie Smith reports.
US retail sales in August were boosted by back-to-school shoppers, with most retailers booking sales gains over the month.
Many back-to-school shoppers in the US are leaving their purchases to the last minute as retailers compete to attract their custom, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation (NRF).
A soft start to the back-to-school season coupled with promotions in its core basics business have contributed to a disappointing second quarter for teen clothing retailer Aeropostale.
Lured by warm weather and promotions to clear summer merchandise, US shoppers hit the stores in July giving an overall boost to many apparel retailers - but the results shed little light on back-to-school spending plans.
Back-to-school spending in the US is set to rise this year as parents look to replace and replenish what their children might have had to "make do" with last season, according to the National Retail Federation.
Retailers can expect US shoppers to buy more and visit more stores during the crucial back-to-school shopping season during August, according to a report from ShopperTrak.
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)