The apparel and textile business blog from Leonie Barrie
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Leonie Barrie.
Toxic-free fashion leaders 19 Mar 15
Esprit and Benetton have been quick off the mark to celebrate their ratings as “Detox leaders” in this year’s “Detox Catwalk” rankings. The online platform is designed to assess fashion brands’ records on removing toxic chemicals from the supply chain, and has just been published for the second time...
Embracing radical change in size and fit 16 Mar 15
Fashion brands and retailers need to embrace “radical change” in their apparel sizing and fit strategies if they are to remain competitive in a changing environment, according to executives at a recent conference on the issue...
Underlying issues take their toll 9 Mar 15
Bangladesh's textile and clothing exporters, still reeling from the impact of continuing political unrest in the country, now say they are facing a second shock wave: the freefall of the euro. Industry lobbyists and analysts fear the decline in value of the European single currency will cut exporters’ profit margins, weakening their ability to compete in the 19 countries using the euro...
China cotton call 2 Mar 15
International fashion brands and retailers are being urged to help build a more resilient cotton supply chain in China if they want to secure supplies of the raw material for the future. But can they really make a difference, and why should they care?..
Are you up to speed on 'The Fit Factor'? 27 Feb 15
A special event on ‘The Fit Factor – World class wisdom on fashion sizing and fit’ will bring together speakers from Marks & Spencer, Tesco, C&A and Debenhams in the UK next week...
As the threat of a US West Coast port shutdown looms, analysts already estimate the ongoing disruption could add an eye-watering US$36.9bn to costs over the next 24 months...
Birnbaum answers back 16 Feb 15
Do you have any burning questions you’d like to ask a renowned global garment industry expert? For free...
Bangladesh exports to US bounce back 9 Feb 15
Apparel shipments from Bangladesh to the US bounced back in December, posting their first rise since January last year...
Outdoor brands in innovation buzz 2 Feb 15
Innovation and technology were the buzz words at this month’s Outdoor Retailer trade show, where leading outdoor brands unveiled new ways to encourage emotional as well as functional participation by consumers...
Myanmar pay talks underway 26 Jan 15
Talks aimed at setting a minimum wage for workers in Burma/Myanmar are now underway, after the original deadline of December was missed following calls for further research...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Innovation and supply chain remain key for Nike
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019