The apparel and textile business blog from Leonie Barrie
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Leonie Barrie.
just-style’s 5 days of deals 28 Jul 15
We’re offering a range of daily deals on just-style research this week, with each day offering an opportunity to purchase two different reports at reduced rates...
A lot was written about Amazon on just-style last week, following a prediction that the internet giant could take the top spot for US apparel retailing by 2017. The retailer also posted a surprise second-quarter profit, giving it a valuation that is higher than Wal-Mart. The figures raise intriguing questions about Amazon’s possible impact on the clothing market...
Apparel imports into the US continued on their upward trajectory in May, with China bouncing back from its second decline this year, Vietnam surging and Bangladesh up again. But while eight of the top-ten supplier counties saw growth, those further down the list suffered...
Anger and frustration is brewing in Myanmar over plans announced last week to set the country’s first minimum wage at MMK3,600 (US$3.22) per day...
Myanmar moves on labour law reforms 29 Jun 15
Myanmar is set to become a more attractive garment sourcing and investment destination after plans were agreed on labour law reforms in the country – with Gap and H&M coming out in support of the proposals...
Sri Lankan company wins firm of the year 24 Jun 15
Congratulations to Textured Jersey Lanka Plc, which has won top prize in the inaugural World Textile Awards sponsored by The Textile Institute...
Shaking up the supply chain 22 Jun 15
Ongoing efforts to reverse a slump in sales at its namesake brand are to see US clothing retailer Gap Inc shutter 175 of its namesake stores in the US and axe 250 head office jobs...
US trade legislation hangs by a thread 16 Jun 15
Efforts to move forward on key pieces of US trade legislation intensified last week. A package of measures to renew the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) and extend the Haiti HELP/HOPE programme was approved by the US House of Representatives – although it now needs to return to the Senate for another vote...
The apparel sourcing landscape, with its increasingly complex supply chains and added pressure for faster speed and careful control of costs, continues to shift. But is garment production really moving out of China?..
Progress on product processes 1 Jun 15
While new Gap Inc CEO Art Peck has a laser focus on fixing the Gap brand’s woes, finding the right formula is proving elusive. Indeed, a turnaround is not now expected until mid-2016, with the spring season seen as a "no excuses moment."..
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020