The apparel and textile business blog from Leonie Barrie
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Leonie Barrie.
As if retailers didn’t have enough to contend with as they try to get to grips with doing business in a digitally-connected omni-channel world, it seems the rise of the “selfie” is also beginning to impact the way consumers shop...
As part of UK government efforts to lead the global fight against slavery, new legislation will require retailers to publish an annual statement outlining the steps they have taken to ensure slavery and human trafficking are not taking place in their businesses or supply chains...
just-style’s 5 days of deals 28 Jul 15
We’re offering a range of daily deals on just-style research this week, with each day offering an opportunity to purchase two different reports at reduced rates...
A lot was written about Amazon on just-style last week, following a prediction that the internet giant could take the top spot for US apparel retailing by 2017. The retailer also posted a surprise second-quarter profit, giving it a valuation that is higher than Wal-Mart. The figures raise intriguing questions about Amazon’s possible impact on the clothing market...
Apparel imports into the US continued on their upward trajectory in May, with China bouncing back from its second decline this year, Vietnam surging and Bangladesh up again. But while eight of the top-ten supplier counties saw growth, those further down the list suffered...
Anger and frustration is brewing in Myanmar over plans announced last week to set the country’s first minimum wage at MMK3,600 (US$3.22) per day...
Myanmar moves on labour law reforms 29 Jun 15
Myanmar is set to become a more attractive garment sourcing and investment destination after plans were agreed on labour law reforms in the country – with Gap and H&M coming out in support of the proposals...
Sri Lankan company wins firm of the year 24 Jun 15
Congratulations to Textured Jersey Lanka Plc, which has won top prize in the inaugural World Textile Awards sponsored by The Textile Institute...
Shaking up the supply chain 22 Jun 15
Ongoing efforts to reverse a slump in sales at its namesake brand are to see US clothing retailer Gap Inc shutter 175 of its namesake stores in the US and axe 250 head office jobs...
US trade legislation hangs by a thread 16 Jun 15
Efforts to move forward on key pieces of US trade legislation intensified last week. A package of measures to renew the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) and extend the Haiti HELP/HOPE programme was approved by the US House of Representatives – although it now needs to return to the Senate for another vote...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019