The apparel and textile business blog from Leonie Barrie
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Leonie Barrie.
Asia facing up to increased competition 10 Oct 16
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing Asian governments to sharpen their industrial policies to try to retain market share...
Cambodia raises garment worker wages 4 Oct 16
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a rise of 9.3% on the current minimum wage of US$140...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at Adidas’s Speedfactory manufacturing facility...
The ongoing challenge of tackling transparency and traceability across global supply chains cropped up again last week, with the launch of a new initiative to try to eliminate forced labour from cotton and yarn production...
As a barometer of the latest trends in the US apparel sourcing landscape, the recent Sourcing at MAGIC trade show pointed to a shift from regional to global sourcing, a move towards fewer but more capable 'super vendors', increasing interest in 'Made in USA' products, the rise of Ethiopia and concerns over Vietnam...
US apparel imports take a tumble in June 15 Aug 16
Apparel imports into the US took a tumble in June, even though more than half of the top-ten supplier countries booked growth...
Under Armour shuns athleisure label 1 Aug 16
Performance footwear and apparel brand Under Armour is evolving thanks to the imminent launch of a new sportswear line that will help broaden its appeal to a more mainstream audience, and the signing of a new partnership deal with Kohl's...
Ethiopia's flagship industrial park in Hawassa city, south of the capital Addis Ababa, has finally opened, dedicated solely to the textile and apparel sector...
Now that both the final text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and official trade statistics for 2015 have been released, we take another look at the likely impact of TPP's tariff phase-out schedule on US textile and apparel imports from Vietnam...
Two terrorist attacks in Bangladesh over the past week have left the country's key garment industry in turmoil, with buyers rethinking travel plans and potential economic fallout for a sector reliant on foreign investment. Observers say the sector must now join with the government in taking a lead on security and economic issues if it is to continue to thrive and attract customers...
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Modern Slavery Act boosts supply chain engagement
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020