The apparel and textile business blog from Leonie Barrie
If you would like to offer your comments, opinions, suggest topics or just have a good rant, please feel free to email: Leonie Barrie.
Gap CEO switch a sign of transition 13 Oct 14
If evidence is needed as to the new direction likely to be pursued by US retail giant Gap Inc, look no further than the company's new leadership change. It was revealed last week that CEO Glenn Murphy is to step down in February, making way for Art Peck, the head of Gap's digital division...
just-style readership survey 7 Oct 14
We've just launched our first readership survey in two years - and want to know what you think about just-style, and the challenges you're facing at the moment...
Disruptors on the horizon... 6 Oct 14
Not content with dominating the global exporting landscape, China is now switching its focus to growth in domestic consumption. And according to Li & Fung chairman William Fung, this is likely to lead to "a rather bumpy ride" for the apparel industry...
Crystal Group looks at long-term growth 30 Sep 14
In an exclusive interview published on just-style last week, Andrew Lo, CEO of Hong Kong based manufacturing giant Crystal Group, talks about the challenges of building the business for long-term growth, and ensuring that the company has a strong local supply chain in place to deliver on its goals...
Closer cooperation urged in Bangladesh 22 Sep 14
Two separate calls came last week urging the various safety initiatives in Bangladesh to work more closely to coordinate their efforts - and for more input from the Bangladeshi government if the work achieved so far is to continue its momentum...
The explosive growth of the Bangladeshi ready-made garment industry is more likely to be accompanied by accusations of sweatshop exploitation from labour rights activists than praise for the positive opportunities it brings the sector's largely-women workforce...
Back-to-school buoys US imports 15 Sep 14
US retailers ramped up stocks for the start of the back-to-school season in July, pushing apparel imports for the month up by 13.4%, according to the latest data. But while China and Vietnam were the biggest beneficiaries of these gains, shipments from Bangladesh, Indonesia and Cambodia tumbled...
US retail giant Gap Inc has made no secret of the fact that it faced - and continues to face - a number of compliance issues linked to its decision to start sourcing garments from Myanmar/Burma...
Cottoning on to water shortages 1 Sep 14
To coincide with World Water Week, which kicked off in Stockholm yesterday, the need for better use of increasingly limited water resources has turned the spotlight on the global cotton industry - one of the largest and thirstiest crops produced...
With the spotlight already shining brightly on African textile and apparel production and its future potential, it is perhaps not surprising that there's also an increasing focus on African fashion as well...
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Child labour products still entering US from China
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam