April 2012 management briefing: Recycling textiles and clothing
With fast fashion and quick turnover key commercial ingredients of today’s apparel industry, excess textile production is prompting the sector to gravitate towards more recycling and reuse of materials, to conserve energy, increase sustainability and lower raw material costs. In this month’s management briefing just-style looks at solutions to boost textile recycling, services on offer, worldwide initiatives and regulations.
With fast fashion and quick turnover key commercial ingredients of today's garment and apparel industry, excess textile production is prompting the sector to gravitate towards more recycling and re-use of materials, to conserve energy, increase sustainability and lower raw material costs.
As textile recycling continues to gain importance worldwide, and the number of companies dedicated to processing used apparel or scraps increases as well, governments and industry alike are working to establish textile waste legislation.
Textile recycling has come a long way since the days of the rag-and-bone man a generation or so ago, with particularly dramatic changes happening in some European countries over the past ten years. As a result, sources of advice on recycling for the textile and clothing industry have grown apace.
Re-using and reprocessing clothing, fibres and scraps is an effective way to create sustainability in the apparel industry - although textile recycling is currently facing barriers associated with cost, time, and technology. But as sustainability gains in importance, many services are being offered by both apparel manufacturers and other clothing and sector organisations to help improve recycling outputs.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies