April 2012 management briefing: Recycling textiles and clothing
With fast fashion and quick turnover key commercial ingredients of today’s apparel industry, excess textile production is prompting the sector to gravitate towards more recycling and reuse of materials, to conserve energy, increase sustainability and lower raw material costs. In this month’s management briefing just-style looks at solutions to boost textile recycling, services on offer, worldwide initiatives and regulations.
With fast fashion and quick turnover key commercial ingredients of today's garment and apparel industry, excess textile production is prompting the sector to gravitate towards more recycling and re-use of materials, to conserve energy, increase sustainability and lower raw material costs.
As textile recycling continues to gain importance worldwide, and the number of companies dedicated to processing used apparel or scraps increases as well, governments and industry alike are working to establish textile waste legislation.
Textile recycling has come a long way since the days of the rag-and-bone man a generation or so ago, with particularly dramatic changes happening in some European countries over the past ten years. As a result, sources of advice on recycling for the textile and clothing industry have grown apace.
Re-using and reprocessing clothing, fibres and scraps is an effective way to create sustainability in the apparel industry - although textile recycling is currently facing barriers associated with cost, time, and technology. But as sustainability gains in importance, many services are being offered by both apparel manufacturers and other clothing and sector organisations to help improve recycling outputs.
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019