August 2012 management briefing: Luxury apparel in Latin America
It's no secret that China continues to steal the bulk of the world's luxury apparel and goods sales, accounting for some 50% of the total. But with China's growth rate forecast to slow in 2016, luxury houses are looking to expand in other markets - and Latin America tops that list. This month's management briefing looks at the challenges and opportunities the region presents.
It's no secret that China continues to steal the bulk of the world's luxury apparel and goods sales, accounting for some 50% of the total. But with China's growth rate forecast to slow in 2016, luxury houses could be forced to expand in other markets - with Latin America topping that list.
Louis Vuitton, Gucci and Salvatore Ferragamo are Latin America's leading luxury brands, according to industry observers who add the region's elite follow global trends when it comes to choosing their favourite labels.
Latin America's luxury apparel market is poised for strong growth - yet high import tariffs in some countries, most notably Brazil, and a large counterfeit trade in Mexico could keep some brands at bay, industry observers say.
After more than doubling its growth rates between 2008 and 2012, Brazil is the darling of Latin America's luxury apparel and goods market. Last year, the market for designer clothing and footwear grew 7.3% to $2.6bn, while sales of luxury accessories increased 4.5% to 1.2bn.
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- Supply chain mapping using the Bitcoin blockchain
- Mexico makers see rise in exports and local demand
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Asian union development and the Western response
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- Clothing a top category for mass personalisation
- Euratex raises rules of origin issues in TPP talks
- New dye-sublimation printers for sportswear
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects