December 2010 management briefing: A year in review
The global apparel industry was largely in recovery mode in 2010 following global economic turmoil the year before. And in all sectors, from retailing to manufacturing and sourcing, winners and losers were not hard to find. just-style’s review of the year tracks those for whom 2010 will be memorable in more ways than one, and also takes a look at some of the more unusual stories hitting the headlines.
While some retailers continued to be vulnerable to cost-cutting, swingeing redundancies and store closures in 2010, others acted swiftly to respond to the changing economic circumstances, offering real value to their customers and embarking on ambitious international expansion.
With the global textile and clothing industry this year emerging from a deep slump, it is perhaps understandable that there were going to be unexpected twists and turns in the sector during 2010.
Garment-making countries had a number of hurdles to overcome in 2010, with natural disasters like floods and earthquakes striving to disrupt supply chains already battling a surge in labour, raw material and transport costs and a never-ending run of industrial disputes. But while some buckled under the weight of this pressure, others really came into their own.
Established skills and tradition were not enough to save some apparel makers from layoffs and factory closures in 2010. But acquisitions, an environmental focus and international expansion helped others to build on a solid recovery from the recession.
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019