December 2010 management briefing: A year in review
The global apparel industry was largely in recovery mode in 2010 following global economic turmoil the year before. And in all sectors, from retailing to manufacturing and sourcing, winners and losers were not hard to find. just-style’s review of the year tracks those for whom 2010 will be memorable in more ways than one, and also takes a look at some of the more unusual stories hitting the headlines.
While some retailers continued to be vulnerable to cost-cutting, swingeing redundancies and store closures in 2010, others acted swiftly to respond to the changing economic circumstances, offering real value to their customers and embarking on ambitious international expansion.
With the global textile and clothing industry this year emerging from a deep slump, it is perhaps understandable that there were going to be unexpected twists and turns in the sector during 2010.
Garment-making countries had a number of hurdles to overcome in 2010, with natural disasters like floods and earthquakes striving to disrupt supply chains already battling a surge in labour, raw material and transport costs and a never-ending run of industrial disputes. But while some buckled under the weight of this pressure, others really came into their own.
Established skills and tradition were not enough to save some apparel makers from layoffs and factory closures in 2010. But acquisitions, an environmental focus and international expansion helped others to build on a solid recovery from the recession.
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- US Q3 in brief: Shoe Carnival, Caleres
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory