July 2010 management briefing: Size matters
Addressing size and fit issues is key to helping brands and retailers maintain a competitive edge and build their businesses in new and existing markets. In this latest management briefing, just-style looks at the challenges facing firms as they expand intentionally, the potential for growth in the US plus-size market, and how the latest data on body size has a commercial role to play.
A growing need to find the best size model for each target population has led to a number of initiatives by companies that support the clothing industry. The data generated can help retailers and brands investigate and improve their current sizing strategies and/or provide them with support in the development of new size offerings or moves into new markets.
As part of the July management briefing on 'Size matters,' just-style spoke with Ed Gribbin, president of Alvainsight, a division of size and fit specialist Alvanon. Below are ten sizing soundbites from Gribbin that show just how important size and fit issues are in helping brands and retailers maintain a competitive edge and build their businesses in new and existing markets.
Variations in body sizes are becoming more apparent with advancements in body scanning technology and a number of sizing studies that give a more complete picture of an individual's size.
To have plus-size clothing lines to sell, you need plus-size consumers, so it is maybe not a surprise that the American market for these garments is of critical importance.
As trade barriers continue to diminish, clothing brands are becoming more global. However it is not as easy for the sizes of their goods to be quite as worldly. International players need to adapt their fits for different target markets but that level of adaptation varies by country.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Weatherproof jackets release harmful chemicals"
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies