July 2010 management briefing: Size matters
Addressing size and fit issues is key to helping brands and retailers maintain a competitive edge and build their businesses in new and existing markets. In this latest management briefing, just-style looks at the challenges facing firms as they expand intentionally, the potential for growth in the US plus-size market, and how the latest data on body size has a commercial role to play.
A growing need to find the best size model for each target population has led to a number of initiatives by companies that support the clothing industry. The data generated can help retailers and brands investigate and improve their current sizing strategies and/or provide them with support in the development of new size offerings or moves into new markets.
As part of the July management briefing on 'Size matters,' just-style spoke with Ed Gribbin, president of Alvainsight, a division of size and fit specialist Alvanon. Below are ten sizing soundbites from Gribbin that show just how important size and fit issues are in helping brands and retailers maintain a competitive edge and build their businesses in new and existing markets.
Variations in body sizes are becoming more apparent with advancements in body scanning technology and a number of sizing studies that give a more complete picture of an individual's size.
To have plus-size clothing lines to sell, you need plus-size consumers, so it is maybe not a surprise that the American market for these garments is of critical importance.
As trade barriers continue to diminish, clothing brands are becoming more global. However it is not as easy for the sizes of their goods to be quite as worldly. International players need to adapt their fits for different target markets but that level of adaptation varies by country.
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019