July 2011 management briefing: PLM software in the apparel supply chain
Three years ago industry observers forecast that product lifecycle management (PLM) software would be a make-or-break investment for the apparel industry. That was before the global economic slowdown of course, but software suppliers remain confident the tools are even more relevant today as firms seek to save crucial time and money in their sourcing, supply and inventory activities.
Forecasts for the uptake of product life cycle management (PLM) technology in the clothing industry have slowed from the bullish expectations of three years ago. But software suppliers are still confident that investment in the tools will continue to be strong, despite the volatile global economy.
As product lifecycle management (PLM) software becomes a greater necessity to inject organisational efficiency in today's highly competitive global fashion market, PLM vendors are rushing to provide customers with the fastest and most efficient systems possible.
Three years ago, just when Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software was beginning to generate a buzz as a tool to simplify and inject efficiency into apparel supply chains, some complained the systems faced "horrible" implementation delays as companies and software developers alike struggled to integrate them into organisations.
These days, PLM software suppliers are feeling ecstatic about the growth potential that China, India and Asia Pacific are bringing to their business - which is poised to benefit from the region's booming fashion markets.
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Gap deepens social and environmental efforts
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Syrian refugee children found in Turkish factories
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Key Bangladesh safety issues still not fixed
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024