June 2010 management briefing: Latin America special report
There are signs around the world that the textile market is beginning to recover from the global economic crisis, and that developing markets will be leading the recovery. Here, just-style looks at how countries in Latin America have weathered the storm, with their dynamic textile and apparel industries now well positioned for future expansion.
There are signs around the world that the textile market is beginning to recover from the global economic crisis, and developing markets will be leading that recovery. Asia is, of course, at the forefront, but many countries in Latin America have also weathered the storm and have come out in a surprisingly decent position, with their dynamic textile and apparel industries well positioned for future expansion.
"Colombia's clothing and textile industry is one of the largest and most experienced in Latin America, especially with the application of technology in production processes," according to Camila Toledo, Latin America trend director for Stylesight, the online provider of trends, tools and technology for creative professionals in the fashion and style industries.
Mexico has experienced a tremendous boom and bust cycle in its textile and apparel industry over the last two decades.
Brazil seems to be the driving force of Latin American economic growth at the moment. Despite the economic crisis, its GDP grew 5.1% in 2008, dipped slightly in 2009, and is forecast to almost completely recover in 2010.
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Connected sourcing networks ease payment problems
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Talks underway on Myanmar minimum wage
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- C&A to boost opportunities for women in India
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead