June 2010 management briefing: Latin America special report
There are signs around the world that the textile market is beginning to recover from the global economic crisis, and that developing markets will be leading the recovery. Here, just-style looks at how countries in Latin America have weathered the storm, with their dynamic textile and apparel industries now well positioned for future expansion.
There are signs around the world that the textile market is beginning to recover from the global economic crisis, and developing markets will be leading that recovery. Asia is, of course, at the forefront, but many countries in Latin America have also weathered the storm and have come out in a surprisingly decent position, with their dynamic textile and apparel industries well positioned for future expansion.
"Colombia's clothing and textile industry is one of the largest and most experienced in Latin America, especially with the application of technology in production processes," according to Camila Toledo, Latin America trend director for Stylesight, the online provider of trends, tools and technology for creative professionals in the fashion and style industries.
Mexico has experienced a tremendous boom and bust cycle in its textile and apparel industry over the last two decades.
Brazil seems to be the driving force of Latin American economic growth at the moment. Despite the economic crisis, its GDP grew 5.1% in 2008, dipped slightly in 2009, and is forecast to almost completely recover in 2010.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022