June 2010 management briefing: Latin America special report
There are signs around the world that the textile market is beginning to recover from the global economic crisis, and that developing markets will be leading the recovery. Here, just-style looks at how countries in Latin America have weathered the storm, with their dynamic textile and apparel industries now well positioned for future expansion.
There are signs around the world that the textile market is beginning to recover from the global economic crisis, and developing markets will be leading that recovery. Asia is, of course, at the forefront, but many countries in Latin America have also weathered the storm and have come out in a surprisingly decent position, with their dynamic textile and apparel industries well positioned for future expansion.
"Colombia's clothing and textile industry is one of the largest and most experienced in Latin America, especially with the application of technology in production processes," according to Camila Toledo, Latin America trend director for Stylesight, the online provider of trends, tools and technology for creative professionals in the fashion and style industries.
Mexico has experienced a tremendous boom and bust cycle in its textile and apparel industry over the last two decades.
Brazil seems to be the driving force of Latin American economic growth at the moment. Despite the economic crisis, its GDP grew 5.1% in 2008, dipped slightly in 2009, and is forecast to almost completely recover in 2010.
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- The Flanarant: TPP – now the real fight starts
- What clothing could the TPP X-basket contain?
- Patagonia's CSR commitments re-shaping the sector
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- New CEO may focus on Ralph Lauren supply chain
- Nike collaborates on low-impact textile challenge
- Unions agree proposed Cambodia minimum wage
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry