June 2011 management briefing: The changing face of clothing retail
As the economic recovery accelerates, global clothing retail trends are showing great diversity. From eco-friendly fashions to online opportunities and emerging BRICM markets, this management briefing from just-style looks at where the smart money will be heading next.
For some it was a total disaster, for others a bump in the road, but the recession left no part of the clothing and textile retail sector unscathed. But now, as the economic recovery accelerates, global clothing retail trends are showing great diversity.
Clothing and accessory consumers are fickle at the best of times, and trying to nail down their desires in the growing eco-fashion niche is proving especially difficult as the industry moves toward environmental responsibility.
The BRICM countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico) have long been regarded as sources of cheap quality fabrics and clothes. But as they grow wealthier they are increasingly being regarded as vital international export markets too.
How the recession has impacted consumer shopping habits in the US, e-commerce drivers, the use of social media, key figures of the EU textile and clothing industry, Hong Kong retail sales, and Australian consumer spending confidence are among the data included here.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts