June 2011 management briefing: The changing face of clothing retail
As the economic recovery accelerates, global clothing retail trends are showing great diversity. From eco-friendly fashions to online opportunities and emerging BRICM markets, this management briefing from just-style looks at where the smart money will be heading next.
For some it was a total disaster, for others a bump in the road, but the recession left no part of the clothing and textile retail sector unscathed. But now, as the economic recovery accelerates, global clothing retail trends are showing great diversity.
Clothing and accessory consumers are fickle at the best of times, and trying to nail down their desires in the growing eco-fashion niche is proving especially difficult as the industry moves toward environmental responsibility.
The BRICM countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico) have long been regarded as sources of cheap quality fabrics and clothes. But as they grow wealthier they are increasingly being regarded as vital international export markets too.
How the recession has impacted consumer shopping habits in the US, e-commerce drivers, the use of social media, key figures of the EU textile and clothing industry, Hong Kong retail sales, and Australian consumer spending confidence are among the data included here.
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Open markets key for US apparel workers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges