June 2011 management briefing: The changing face of clothing retail
As the economic recovery accelerates, global clothing retail trends are showing great diversity. From eco-friendly fashions to online opportunities and emerging BRICM markets, this management briefing from just-style looks at where the smart money will be heading next.
For some it was a total disaster, for others a bump in the road, but the recession left no part of the clothing and textile retail sector unscathed. But now, as the economic recovery accelerates, global clothing retail trends are showing great diversity.
Clothing and accessory consumers are fickle at the best of times, and trying to nail down their desires in the growing eco-fashion niche is proving especially difficult as the industry moves toward environmental responsibility.
The BRICM countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and Mexico) have long been regarded as sources of cheap quality fabrics and clothes. But as they grow wealthier they are increasingly being regarded as vital international export markets too.
How the recession has impacted consumer shopping habits in the US, e-commerce drivers, the use of social media, key figures of the EU textile and clothing industry, Hong Kong retail sales, and Australian consumer spending confidence are among the data included here.
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Child labour products still entering US from China
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020