March 2011 management briefing: Eco-friendly textiles and clothing
In its drive to become more ethical and environmentally-friendly, the global fashion and textile industry is facing numerous challenges and opportunities. In this month’s management briefing, just-style looks at how green production can help to cut costs and deal with factory waste, and the way regulations are pushing the sector towards sustainability.
The global fashion and textile market has increasingly been influenced by green buzzwords such as 'organic', 'fair trade' and 'sustainable', with the market for ethical and environmentally-friendly fashion growing despite many challenges.
The international clothing and textile industry does not of course work in a vacuum - it must abide by the law - and where regulations tell it to reduce pollution or avoid using potentially harmful chemicals, it can and does comply.
In the green clothing and textiles market, the requirement to create sustainable and marketable eco-friendly products is becoming increasingly competitive. Out-of-the-box innovation is immensely valuable in such a sector where companies seek to balance environmental marketing against increased costs - if green production can be achieved for lower costs, then major labels can and do take notice.
As production costs rise and environmental regulations tighten worldwide, manufacturers in the clothing and textile industry are looking for ways of dealing with their production waste as economically as possible. That, however, can never mean simply choosing the cheapest option, rather the smartest.
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Kurt Cavano on “the Uberfication of everything”
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- H&M offers $1m grant for sustainable innovations
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019