March 2011 management briefing: Eco-friendly textiles and clothing
In its drive to become more ethical and environmentally-friendly, the global fashion and textile industry is facing numerous challenges and opportunities. In this month’s management briefing, just-style looks at how green production can help to cut costs and deal with factory waste, and the way regulations are pushing the sector towards sustainability.
The global fashion and textile market has increasingly been influenced by green buzzwords such as 'organic', 'fair trade' and 'sustainable', with the market for ethical and environmentally-friendly fashion growing despite many challenges.
The international clothing and textile industry does not of course work in a vacuum - it must abide by the law - and where regulations tell it to reduce pollution or avoid using potentially harmful chemicals, it can and does comply.
In the green clothing and textiles market, the requirement to create sustainable and marketable eco-friendly products is becoming increasingly competitive. Out-of-the-box innovation is immensely valuable in such a sector where companies seek to balance environmental marketing against increased costs - if green production can be achieved for lower costs, then major labels can and do take notice.
As production costs rise and environmental regulations tighten worldwide, manufacturers in the clothing and textile industry are looking for ways of dealing with their production waste as economically as possible. That, however, can never mean simply choosing the cheapest option, rather the smartest.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report