March 2011 management briefing: Eco-friendly textiles and clothing
In its drive to become more ethical and environmentally-friendly, the global fashion and textile industry is facing numerous challenges and opportunities. In this month’s management briefing, just-style looks at how green production can help to cut costs and deal with factory waste, and the way regulations are pushing the sector towards sustainability.
The global fashion and textile market has increasingly been influenced by green buzzwords such as 'organic', 'fair trade' and 'sustainable', with the market for ethical and environmentally-friendly fashion growing despite many challenges.
The international clothing and textile industry does not of course work in a vacuum - it must abide by the law - and where regulations tell it to reduce pollution or avoid using potentially harmful chemicals, it can and does comply.
In the green clothing and textiles market, the requirement to create sustainable and marketable eco-friendly products is becoming increasingly competitive. Out-of-the-box innovation is immensely valuable in such a sector where companies seek to balance environmental marketing against increased costs - if green production can be achieved for lower costs, then major labels can and do take notice.
As production costs rise and environmental regulations tighten worldwide, manufacturers in the clothing and textile industry are looking for ways of dealing with their production waste as economically as possible. That, however, can never mean simply choosing the cheapest option, rather the smartest.
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Open markets key for US apparel workers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges