March 2011 management briefing: Eco-friendly textiles and clothing
In its drive to become more ethical and environmentally-friendly, the global fashion and textile industry is facing numerous challenges and opportunities. In this month’s management briefing, just-style looks at how green production can help to cut costs and deal with factory waste, and the way regulations are pushing the sector towards sustainability.
The global fashion and textile market has increasingly been influenced by green buzzwords such as 'organic', 'fair trade' and 'sustainable', with the market for ethical and environmentally-friendly fashion growing despite many challenges.
The international clothing and textile industry does not of course work in a vacuum - it must abide by the law - and where regulations tell it to reduce pollution or avoid using potentially harmful chemicals, it can and does comply.
In the green clothing and textiles market, the requirement to create sustainable and marketable eco-friendly products is becoming increasingly competitive. Out-of-the-box innovation is immensely valuable in such a sector where companies seek to balance environmental marketing against increased costs - if green production can be achieved for lower costs, then major labels can and do take notice.
As production costs rise and environmental regulations tighten worldwide, manufacturers in the clothing and textile industry are looking for ways of dealing with their production waste as economically as possible. That, however, can never mean simply choosing the cheapest option, rather the smartest.
- Vietnam soars as US apparel imports decline in May
- Has the Chinese dream become a nightmare scenario?
- Gap's Myanmar move highlights country's potential
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- M&S Q1 trading update: What the analysts say
- Inditex renews agreement to track the supply chain
- Li & Fung completes Global Brands spin-off
- Costs push Levi Strauss Q2 earnings down
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Wal-Mart supports reshoring with 'Made in USA' day
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel and Footwear Retailing in the Digital Era (Part 1): Exploring Innovation
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change